Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

my database was was never password protected, now it is

my database was was never password protected, now it is

[ Edited ]
I have tried figuring this out on the www.act.com website.  All i could figure out was they wanted $90 fro have them help me figure out that password?  That could not be right? It never had a password.  Please someone come to my assistance.

I will mail you a Starbucks card for assistance.
Neal.

Message Edited by neal on 01-30-2008 07:34 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: my database was was never password protected, now it is

ACT! will ask for a user name and password if either you have more than one user or you have a password.

Is your database single user?
What version of ACT!?

thanks.
It never had a password,
I am the only user.
Have been for 8 years or so.
Neal.

any suggestions?

The only other option is that the database has become damaged.

You can either restore a backup or you will need to have the database repaird

The *exact* same issue is happening to me!! To my dismay, no one has offered solution!
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is not going to be an easy solution via this community.

There are two things you can do:

First, if this is a single user database, call into ACT Support. They will be able to recover the username/password for you.

Second, if these are multi-user databases, you can submit the database to ACT Database Services and they can recover/reset the username and password. See the website for more info: http://www.act.com/support/databaseservices/password/

neal wrote:
I have tried figuring this out on the www.act.com website.  All i could figure out was they wanted $90 fro have them help me figure out that password?  That could not be right? It never had a password.  Please someone come to my assistance.

I will mail you a Starbucks card for assistance.
Neal.

BTW: If you're still looking, or for anyone else, try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/2zgmd8

Some times, it's just the username that's not being entered correctly

I just went through this.... try using the "company" name of the 1st record ACT pulls up (or used to pull up when it used to open). That's what tech support had me try and it worked. Again this isn't the name of the computer or the name of the database. Use as your login what you have written in "company" field of the record that ACT pulls up first.

Also if this doesn't work, my hold time with warranty support this morning was less than 3 mins.

This happened to me too.  I was doing an online training course and added a user to my DB.  I used my wife's contact info.  The next day when I tried to log onto Act it asked me for a password.

I am running Act 2006, single user licence.

Act support will help me but only if I upgrade to the latest version and pay $'s.

So I figured it out.  I just kept trying different user names until, when I used my full name with a space between the first and last name, it opened.

Then I went to tools -> Manage Users

and deleted my wife's profile.

Now I can shut down the DB and reopen it without being asked for a password and username.

I hope this helps.

Copper Elite Contributor

Assuming by "profile" you mean user, yes it will work as you found out to delete your wife as a user.  Other ACT! users must be careful that when deleting a user from the database that you specify another user to reassign the records to otherwise otherwise those records will be lost.  Another way would be to make a user inactive instead of deleting them.  If you wanted her records reassigned to you after making them inactive, do an edit-replace on the record manager field.  Replace her name with yours and this will reassign those records to you.  The demo database for example has many inactive users but only one active user - "chris huffman".  You don't need to enter a password until you activate someone in addition to chris huffman.