Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

multiple icons on desktop

multiple icons on desktop

Hi all,

I recently returned to using ACT after being on another CRM database for several years. Just downloaded the new version last night and am trying to get it set up. Having a weird problem I was hoping some folks on here could help me with. 

Each time I open my database to enter a new contact or to try and look at it, it puts a new icon with the same name on my desktop, so I have like 12 icons all with the name of my database on there now, looks very messy and doesn't seem right. Any suggestions as to what I did wrong and how to fix this problem and keep it from happening? Thanks! And sorry if this is a dumb question and I'm just overlooking something. . .

Best,

Bryan

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: multiple icons on desktop

Hello Bryan,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

That is a strange issue... and certainly not right. 

Can you provide some additional information about your installation:

- Operating System

- Version of Sage ACT!

- What are the file names for the icons being created?  Right click on them and select Properties to find file name.

- Where is Sage ACT! installed?  By default it would be C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows.  Want to make sure it isn't installed on the desktop...

- Where is the database located?  By default it would be under Documents\ACT\Act Data\Databases. 

- Assuming it is creating a 'databasename.pad' file, do you also have the 'databasename.ADF', '*.ALF', and 'databasename-database files' folder on the desktop? 

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg, and thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, for some reason it is on the desktop, not sure why I did that when installing. Should I reinstall to the default location? The database I created is called BCO, and each time I open it it puts another icon of the same name right on the desktop. I'm hoping that by reinstalling or changing the location this will solve the problem. Thanks for the tips and let me know if there is anything else I need to do. Thanks!

Bryan

Platinum Super Contributor

If ACT! is installed on the desktop, I definitely recommend uninstalling, then reinstalling to the default location. The database should not be affected when the program is uninstalled, but make a backup (File > Backup > Database) just in case.

Hopefully the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 program is not also installed on the desktop. If it is not on the desktop, you do not need to uninstall it.

I don't know if this will fix the multiple icon issue, but it is a step in the right direction.
Greg Martin
Sage