Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

multiple PST files

multiple PST files

Hi there

I have Sage ACT premium 2011, and I have 2 companies which for several reasons I have to keep the ACT databases separate and both companies have separate emails (eg. sean @company1 and  sean@ company2)

What I am looking for is a way to connect the company1 outlook PST file to the company1 ACT DB and the company2 outlook PST file to the company2 ACT DB.  Right now, based on my conversations with ACT, they  said everything would be merged since ACT only looks to outlook (and not the individual PST files) .  For example, I don’t want a smarttask to run an email to a company2 customer showing my company1 email, nor do I want the staff in company 2 to see all my contacts from company 1 (while I realize I can make private, they will still be in the other database)

They said to look at the ACT add-ons site and could not find a solution. They also suggested another option would be to have a separate computer to run the 2nd company.

Appreciate if you can let me know if something can solve my above issue.

Thanks

Sean

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: multiple PST files

The ACT! Outlook synchronization does not have the ability to link a specific database with a specific PST file.  The database defined to sync (through Tools > Preferences) will sync with the Outlook PST that is currently open.  If Outlook is closed and there are multiple PST files, when you attempt to synchronize it will prompt you to select a PST.

I can certainly see the advantages of being able to create a 1 to 1 relationship.  You may want to submit this as a Feature Request through the Share Your Ideas forum.  Once submitted, other members can comment and vote (Kudos) on the idea.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

Do you want both databases open at the same time or not?
Are you synchronising ACT! to Outlook, or just integrating Outlook with ACT! so that emails attach from Outlook to ACT! ?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Hi Graeme

I dont think it matters to me if both DB are open at the same time or not, but if I had an option, I would like them to be.

As for "Are you synchronising ACT! to Outlook, or just integrating Outlook with ACT! so that emails attach from Outlook to ACT!", i guess ideally I would want both options to be allowed--but open to suggestions.

My main goal is that since both companies are separate that I have to keep the data separate, but want to still use ACT in each case.

I have tried creating separate profiles in outlook, but it is somewhat cumbersome to switch profiles each time.  So ideally it would be great to somehow just sync/reference a certain ACT DB based on the username/email sending the email.  For example, I send an email as sean@company1.com and it connects to the company 1 ACT DB, and if I send the email as sean@company2.com it connects to the company 2 ACT DB.

In ACT then I would have 2 profiles--Sean @ Company 1 and Sean @ Company 2