Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

moving the Act datbase and personal files from one computer to another

moving the Act datbase and personal files from one computer to another

I have two Windows 7 computers in different states.  I just left one state for the other and backed up my Act database file to a portable hard drive that I brought with me.  When I tried to restore the backed up data base from the portable hard drive I got a message that I could only restore the database to the machine that created it.  Since I go back and forth between these locations frequently for extended periods of time I need to move the most current data base from one location to another but now I don't know how to do it.  I have SAGE ACT Pro 2011.  Can anyone help?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: moving the Act datbase and personal files from one computer to another

If you backed up your database using ACT! backup, then Restore | Restore_As will load it on the new computer.

But, if you want to data to be on both computers without problems, you'll be better off setting up synchronisation

Re: moving the Act database and personal files from one computer to another

[ Edited ]

I don't think I made myself clear.  I have a Windows 7 computer in CO in one residence and another Windows 7 computer in FL at another residence.  When I left CO in early Oct. I backed up the database to a portable hard drive.  When I arrived in FL I tried to restore that backed up database file (a zipped file) to the Windows 7 machine in FL.  Using the restore command I got the error message, that I could only restore the database file to the computer that created the back up.  After reading your reply and looking at the sync articles I realize I can't do a sync because the two computers are not linked by a network.  When I tried to restore the backed up zipped data  base file using restore as I got the same error message even when I put a totally different name in the new data base name box.  Can you tell me what I am dong wrong or can't I do what I want to do?

Modification:  I tried restore as again, this time using a radically different new file name and the restoration worked.  Now I have another problem, I now have multiple data bases and this will only grow as I move back and forth between these two locations multiple times a year.  Is there any way I can get rid of the old data bases once I have done the restoration?  Also, do I need to restore personal files as well or does just restoring the data base bring every thing I need with it?  Sorry to keep pestering you, but I used to have the old Symantec Act and I knew how to work with it.  This one is a different story, at least for me.

Bronze Contributor

I think given what you have already tried you should speak with a consultant in one of your locations and get them to setup sync so you don't have to carry the file on the drive just do it across the net, or maybe change your system to a laptop and carry it around instead.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Neither doing it across the net nor changing to a lap top are viable solutions for me.  Now that I have successfully restored the back up file from the other computer I just need to know how to remove old data base biles from my system.  When I look in the program files for ACT it is not obvious to me which are data base files and which are not.  Is there a remove or delete databases command somewhere?

Bronze Contributor

This is not as straightforward as file delete so what you need to do is

Run the actdiag program from the Start Run command

Go to the database list and locate the database you want to remove

Detach it from the SQL instance

Now you can go to Windows Explorer and delete the actual files

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

[ Edited ]

New users same kind of issue.

My computer won't allow it without changing the name of the database.  I have Act 2011

Also this may be an issue but my original laptop is vista and the new one is windows 7.

I have paid for two licenses.  I would like simple instructions to do this.

I am the only one who updates info and I need to update my husbands laptop so he can find customers information

Can I switch from one database name to the another and then reuse them?

I am not as computer literate as the previous person with the questions.

Veronica

Platinum Super Contributor

Veronica,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You can use the Backup/Restore functions to put your database onto the other computer.  Using the Restore As option will allow you to restore the database with a new name.  You can delete old versions of the database by: open the old database > go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Delete Database.  Be sure you are in the old version of the database before deleting; it will only delete the currently opened database.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 19211

If you have a network between the computers, you will want to look into setting up synchronization between the 2 computers so that you do not have to copy the database back and forth.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 14116

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello,

I'm in a similar situation as the others with one difference...I'm trying to upgrade from version 2008 to 2012 on a different computer.

In summary, I'm looking to go from Laptop1 that has 2008 installed, to Laptop2 which will have 2012 installed. I've seen the KB articles but I was wondering what extra measures would need to be taken, if any? I'm mainly concerned with the data being accessible on the new laptop using the newer version.

Thanks for reading

Re: moving the Act datbase and personal files from one computer to another

I am having a real tough time copying an ACT file to be used on another computer. I backed ACT to a Zip drive. When I try to "restore as" it to anothe windows computer, the second computer does not see it as a .zip file therefore I cannot get it to read the file.