Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

moving database from xp to win7 on act 10

Tuned Listener

moving database from xp to win7 on act 10

Couldn't find this topic, found it for older versions.

Simply stated, our act db is on an xp machine, we run peer to peer, and this machine acts as a server. using act 10

Got a new server, win7 pro. Sharing is much more complicated, we are sharing via the public directory. Users get mapped to \\server\\users\public\documents\.

Installed act on the new machine. Now I need to move db over. 

What is the simplest way to do this. I have created an actdb directory under the mapping, but I know the pad etc. can't move.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I found this post from one of the SIs in austrailia (who has great info and thanks to his help many times!), but it was for act9 and older, and seeing how touchy this is, I am very worried. It took me forever to get this going last time, as I kept getting the error, 'the database can't be accessed'

-

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2339...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Copper Super Contributor

Re: moving database from xp to win7 on act 10

Hi jbinbi.

The easiest way is to backup your database, and restore it on your new pc.

1.) Backup - in ACT!, Go to File | Backup | Database, and save the database with attachments.

2.) Copy that backuped database to your win7 pc

3.) Select File | Restore Database.

4.) You will be given three options. Select Restore Database as.

That's it!

Tuned Listener

ok. thanks. Then all the users can just see the pad file and open it, or will this just allow use on that machine.

I ask because that machine is a server, nobody uses it, and I have done this before w previous versions of act, and got the database couldn't be found error when we tried to open it again.

thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

The process of using the Backup and Restore will allow you to share the database from the new server - you will just need to set the 'Share Database' option once it is restored.  I recommend that when you restore the database on the new server, give it a new name.  It doesn't have to be a completely different name, just a character or 2 (or add 'new' to the end) - this way you will be able to ensure you are opening the new database and not the one on the old server.  You don't want some people entering data in the old database and other entering it into the new one.

To help with the sharing of the database, you may want to go ahead and add exceptions to your firewall and antivirus software on the new server: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Ok. I did a restore as to x:\users\public\documents\act\act for windows 12\databases

I have the x:\users\public\documents read write. I can move files to the database.

I can see the .pad file.

I double click on it and get the dreaded 'cannot open database, check your setting, network, etc.' message.

I have gotten this before when i configured the previous server 2 years ago, in fact i tried to go from act 6 to 2008/2009 and couldn't get past this message. But i got it working on an xp machine.

Now on win 7 and am stuck.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tuned Listener

actually to add something else. When viewing this directory from a workstation, it does not show me the adf file, just the pad file. I know I have hit this issue before, just don't know how I solved it.
Copper Elite Contributor

Are you getting the "dreaded error"  when you're on the server?

If so, run ACTDIAG and make sure your database is online.

1. Click Start.

2. Type "actdiag" and hit Enter.

3. Dismiss the dialog that tells you ACTDIAG is only for fun...

4. On the toolbar click "Databases" and then select "Database List".

5. Do you see your database listed and is its Status shown as "ONLINE"?

6. If the database is not listed you will need to "Attach" it to SQL Server.

-- a. Click Tools on the toolbar.

-- b. Select "Attach ACT! Database" then "Normal Attach".

-- c. Browse for your database's .ADF file. 

-- d. Click to select the correct database and click the Open button.

-- e. Click OK and the database should be attached to SQL Server and display in the Database List.

7. If the database is not ONLINE you will need to start SQL Service.

-- a. Click Tools on the toolbar.

-- b. Select "Start/Stop SQL Service" then click "Start".  The ACT7 SQL instance should start up.

-- c. Click Databases on the toolbar and select "Database List".

-- d. If needed, click the Refresh button.  Your database should now be online.

Tuned Listener

Thanks, but I get the error not when on the server, but on the workstation attached.

The adf file doesn't show when I go to the directory that has the files. pad file shows but not adf. Hence the error I assume.

Copper Elite Contributor

Rats, and after all of that typing...

Do you have the database set as shareable?  Tools | Database Maintenance | Share Database

Is the .ADF physically present in the sub-directory with the .PAD?

Does your database load and run normally on the server?

Is the database up and running -- on the server -- before you try to login from a client?

(If the server does not have the db up and the ACT SQL instance running your clients won't be able to attach.)

Tuned Listener

a. appreciate all your help.

b. on the server machine, i can bring up the database. I created it as shared. When I check it,it has the check mark for shared checked.

c. on a workstation, i go to the mapped drive that has the database. In this case, its called testdb. I can read and write a file to this directory. In that directory, I have a file called testdb.pad. And a subdirectory of testdb-database files., but NO testdb.adf.

This server is running win 7 pro in a peer to peer fashion. We moved from an xp server. win 7 shares files in wierd ways, but I have a directory under C:\testdb , a directory in \\server\users\public\documents and another one in \\server\users\user1\documents.

In each i created a test database that is shared. In none of them can I see the adf file. I believe this is somehow due to shared attributes on win7? The public directory is always shared all others are set to r/w.

Anybody seen this or provide help? Thanks for the community support so far.