Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

migrate from PC to server

migrate from PC to server

I have a dept here that set up ACT 2011 Premium on a PC. They have 15 internal users and now want to allow external VPN'd users to access the DB. That raised a big big red flag with our security dept.  I am now tasked with moving the app off the PC and onto a server. I want to put the DB on one of our many SQL Sever boxes.

Since i do not have experience with ACT can someone explain to me if we need to have an app server involved or do the clients just need to connect to a DB server?  I am going to assume that it is a SQL Express version on the PC. Is there a documented process for migration of the DB from that PC to a SQL Standard or Enterprise Server?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: migrate from PC to server

[ Edited ]

The ACT! program does need to be installed locally on the same machine, so you will need ACT on the server.  As for the version/type of SQL, you can go ahead and use SQL Express, or you can use your SQL Server and "attach" ACT to a new instance on that server.

Here are a couple KB articles that might get you started:

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance

Finally, as far as "migration", what you will basically do it install ACT on the server, and move the database over, either via a Backup/Restore, or move the entire database folder:

How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database

How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database Without Doing a Backup and Restore

Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com