Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

merge notes when importing 2 act 2011 databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

merge notes when importing 2 act 2011 databases

[ Edited ]

When you import an act 2011 database into another act 2011 database, under contact merge options for notes, history, and activities, if you specify merge, do the notes sync (like when you perform a regular sync) or does one set of notes overwrite the other set of notes? I am confused by the kb article that says:

"When source records match destination records you can specify to: 

• Merge data to fill in blank fields in the destination record with data from the source record. If the destination field contains data, no data is imported or exported.
  • Replace with newest contact (group or company) to use the data in the record with the most recent Edit Date. This is the default setting. In some situations, such as importing data from a delimited text file, this option is not available because the source files do not have a date and time stamp.
  • Replace with newest contact (group or company) overwrites the data in the destination field."

The last option should be replace with source (I copied the quote from the kb article) (We had a computer crash and had to turn a remote database into a publisher database, then we have 1 computer that needs its notes/history/activities over a 3 week period imported back into the publisher database.  When it gets to the duplicate contact checking, which option do I choose?)  Thank you in advance for your help.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author aurelia
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: merge notes when importing 2 act 2011 databases

First - When re-creating the Publisher, you should merge in ALL subscribers and then re-create new RDBs

Second - That screen is only about the fields if the Contacts/Groups/Companies match ... you get asked later about merging notes/hist

From what you've said, if you can't pick one, go with Merge - then you get data from both and only loss is if a record has a field with newer update in the source (where data is in the same field for both, it leave the Destination data)

View solution in original post

All Replies

Which should have the most up-to-date contacts (the fields, not note/hist/etc)?

These options are only about the fields ...

Make sure you have a backup of both first

[ Edited ]

I have a backup of both. Both remote computers were used during the 3 weeks until the computer guy said the hard drive on the main (publisher) computer had to be replaced. I followed the instructions to turn one remote database into a publisher database (answer id 14273) and am trying to import the data from the other remote database into the new publisher database (answer id 22042). I have never imported, only synced, and I don't know whether the notes are individual entries or one long file attached to each contact.  I am basically trying to sync without syncing(!).  When I get to the contact merge options, under notes, history, and activities, it gives options of merge, replace with newest, and replace with source. They will be duplicate contacts, but does it replace all the notes for one contact with all the notes for the other contact?  Or is each note an individual piece of data so they will merge?

Solution
Accepted by topic author aurelia
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

First - When re-creating the Publisher, you should merge in ALL subscribers and then re-create new RDBs

Second - That screen is only about the fields if the Contacts/Groups/Companies match ... you get asked later about merging notes/hist

From what you've said, if you can't pick one, go with Merge - then you get data from both and only loss is if a record has a field with newer update in the source (where data is in the same field for both, it leave the Destination data)

Also - when done, set up good backups (with the Act! Scheduler) and have them backed up to another machine or (better) off site.

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2012/12/taking-your-act-on-holiday.html

Thank you so much for your help!!! I appreciate your kindness!  You are wonderful!!!

Of course, as you have them backed up, you'll go through ans check the data in new Publisher for something new in both to be happy it's combined ... and if later find errors, you can get a Consultant to look at the dbs and see if other options are available