Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

mail merger error

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

mail merger error

With Act! 2009 and Office 2007 on a Vista Home Premium sytem I am now receiving an error "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that memory is corrupt". This does not occurr with the ACT WP, nor does it occur with an email merge using Outlook. When you close act the merge that was requested is shown as an open file though it was never visible. This all started on Monday, everything worked last week. Support is at a loss. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Bob

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bob637
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: mail merger error

Problem was resolved by going to Windows uninstall and requesting change for Office 2007. When the Office "change repair" window opens select repair, then Word.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Bob637,

I have not seen this particular problem, but here is what I suggest.

1. Enusre you have all service packs, patches, and updates if any, for Act!, Office, and Vista.  Office 2007 and Vista should be at SP1
  2. Run the Office Diagnostics from within one of the Office programs.  You can do this by going to Help | Office Diagnostics and following the prompts
  3. Run a Repair of your Act! database.  You can do this by going to Tools | Database Maintenance | Check and Repair...

If these things don't work, it is possible the Act! program may be corrupted and may require reinstallation.

MrWright

Copper Contributor

Been there done that. Office diagnostics shows no problem. I removed ACT (using the uninstall) and then reinstalled ACT. It only effects ACT mail merge nothing else.
Copper Elite Contributor

Bob637,

Perhaps your merge template is corrupted.  Have you tried creating a simple Word Template through Act! and then merging?  Have you checked to make sure you template is not Read/Write protected?  Have you tried a merge using the Demo database?  If it only happens during a merge, these are the things that will do it.

Finally, have you performed a disk scan to ensure your Pagefile isn't damaged?

MrWright

Copper Contributor

There is no problem with the merge template or the database. Chkdsk revealed not problem with the hard drive.
Copper Elite Contributor

Wow, sounds like you've got a tough one.  I something just as strange when I was using Act! 2008.  Out of nowhere, I was no longer able to import into an existing database...a function I do every week or two.  I finally tracked down the problem to a Windows corruption.  I made the mistake of running CCleaner and it altered/removed a necessary component in the Registry.  When I moved the database to another PC, it work just fine, so it was definately the windows.

So, I guess what I'm suggesting to confirm is using the database on another PC.  If you are able to merge, then you know it is most like the windows that is corrupted.  If it still doesn't do it, then it is probably the database.

MrWright

Solution
Accepted by topic author bob637
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Problem was resolved by going to Windows uninstall and requesting change for Office 2007. When the Office "change repair" window opens select repair, then Word.
Copper Super Contributor

I just got this same problem been doing the same mail merge every week for about 2 years and now this error message??? a bit strange will try the solution and report back

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6