Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

mail merge

mail merge

I am attempting to do a mail merge to print envelopes. We send out the letters to a 3rd party then when we get the letters back we are trying to use ACT! to print the envelopes. I may need to get the envelopes printed in the same order as the letters....so the proper letter gets in the proper envelope.  I have run a few mail merge test and can not seem to figure out why ACT! prints the contacts in the order it does. I ran my test on a small sample, 7 contacts. ACT! did not print them in any order that I can make sense of. What order is ACT! printing in?
Avid Listener

Re: mail merge

I've done this dozens of times and it's SUCH a PITA to get the folded letters in the right envelopes! 

From my experience, ACT always prints the mail merge in the order that your lookup is in.  If you go into Contact List mode (F8), you can see the order that the contacts are in.  You can add columns as necessary (let me know if you need to know how) and you can sort by any column simply by clicking on it.  If you want to multiple sort (ie first by City, then by ZIP) use Edit -> Sort.

As an aside: If at all possible, get envelopes with windows and spend the extra time (you only need to create the template ONCE) to get the address to print in the right spot so that when folded, it will appear in the window.  If you're outsourcing them, you should make sure they can Z-fold them so the address shows on the outside when folded!  I'd recommend getting some samples of THEIR folded paper--because even a slight difference in the fold location can shift the address so something may not be visible.

Re: mail merge

Thanks for the reply.

My list is in Alpha order and it did not print in this order. I can not see/figure out what order it did print in.