Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

mail merge contact and salutation field problem

rik

mail merge contact and salutation field problem

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with Act 2011. When I attempt to use a mail merge template in the normal way for sending letters to a lookup, no matter what I try, the contact and salutation fields show my own name and address, not the names and addresses of the contacts being sent a letter via mail merge. Any suggestions?

Silver Contributor

Re: mail merge contact and salutation field problem

Have you tried one of the default templates Write, letter.  Does the problem occur there?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

rik

Thanks, Jon. Yes, same problem, but I just discovered something more about the issue.

If I use the mail merge wizard to select any template, even the supplied ones, the letter gets fully addressed to me instead of the recipient. If instead, I just select a single contact and then choose to write to him or her using the very same templates I tried to use in the mail merge, the letter gets properly addressed to the recipient.

Hope this helps give you an idea or two to try.

Silver Contributor

Are you selecting them in the contact list? or viewing the current contact in the contact detail view.  The selected contact in contact list IS NOT the current contact. This could be your problem. Try double clicking the contact in the contact list to make the contact the current contact and try the process again.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

rik

Jon, YOU SOLVED IT! This means I won't need to do an all-nighter addressing some six hundred letters tonight one at a time. Five stars to the ACT! Community. Thank you.