Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[local computer] could not be reached . . .

[local computer] could not be reached . . .

I am trying to deploy Act 2013 Pro for my company.  The database resides on a W7 workstation.  Each day, when I initially try to connect to the database, I almost always receive "[local computer] could not be reached because the IP address could not be resolved . . ."

I can go to SecurityCmdLnApp.exe, enable "Run as Administrator" and resolve this issue.  I need to get this database operational without that step in order to deploy to others.  What is happening to cause this issue?

I hope that resolving this will also resolve the slowdowns and "not responding" situations that arise far too frequently during basic dbase operations, especially since I have already invested in four licenses, and have so far been unwilling to deploy an unstable platform.

thanks for any help that can make this more useable.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: [local computer] could not be reached . . .

Have you tried disabling the User Acces Control (UAC) on the W7 workstation? 

The speed issued could be caused by your antivirus or it could be an issue with the amount of RAM on the W7 worstation/server. It could also be an issue with the swap file settings or the hard drive RPM speed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

UAC on workstation is set to "Never Notify" - does this correctly address that issue?  If so, what might be causing the access / IP problem?  It's a regular occurrence.

Workstation has 4GB RAM on a 64-bit W7 OS.  Workstation is only a few months old, so I would expect hard drive RPM to be adequate.  What might be the iussue with sawp file settings?

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Are you receiving the error when signing into the database while signed onto the workstation that hosts the database? Or are you accessing it from a different workstation?

It sounds like you are accessing from a different workstation (from the IP error). If this is the situation, when you get the error - have you tried opening the database on the host computer?

Have you updated the PAD file to include the IP address rather than the host computer name?

Greg Martin
Sage

We had a similar access problem with QBooks that was solved by directing to IP address - how do I edit .PAD to direct to IP rather than computer name?

Platinum Super Contributor

You can edit the PAD file by opening it with Notepad (right click > Open With... > Notepad), then change the host computer name to the ip address. Leave all other formatting the same.
Greg Martin
Sage

Excellent - thanks.

Increased RAM on host station from 4GB to 8GB - huge difference.

THANKS