Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

limited access for notes, histories, activities

Copper Contributor

limited access for notes, histories, activities

I have been using ACT for about two months. I only have one user license right now and I'm looking to add more users. However, I have concerns regarding access of activities/notes/histories/emails/etc... 

I understand you can limit the access of contacts, companies, opportunities etc to selected users. However, I would like to limit the access of notes, etc.... The reason is because I may have notes regarding negoiations that some employees who need access the contact/company/opportunity don't need to know about, while other employees do need to know about. Does this make sense?

I already know that you can't do this. You have the option to make it private or public but not limited. Therefore my question, is this. If I add the user to the activity by the "schedule with" or when the activity is cleared "share with" a group of selected users; will they then be able to see the history comments if it is still marked private? 

Will this make it:

• Private - restrict access to everyone not in the "group" of employees or users "scheduled with"
  • Make it available to those in the group or scheduled with?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: limited access for notes, histories, activities

Private means only for the ONE user who is the Record Manager ... so a Private activity or history won't be seen by the others.

Limited access for sub-tables would get really messy ... scenarios like having access to the History item but not to the contact or one of the contacts/companies/groups it's linked to

It would cause issues with reporting, dashboards, etc

Gets even more tricky with sync and mobile sync environments.

There are some workarounds for specific scenarios... like links docs with network security allowing certain users access. Really depend on the specific outcome needed and the environment (eg using sync or mobile links)
Copper Contributor

Thanks. So in other words there is no way to share notes/histories with select users? It's all or nothing?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Correct ... at least not without some creative tricks based on a specific scenario