Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

licenses vs users

licenses vs users

We're using Act! 2010 and have 3 computers in the office and never have more than 3 people working at any one time.

However, we have 4 employees.  

We'd like to have each employee have their own login (right now we are doubling up users e.g. Mike/Tim)

My understanding is that we'd need to get more licenses to get more users.

Where would we install the additional licenses?  We have 3 computers in the office and all of them already have Act! installed.  Do I bring in a laptop to install Act! with 4th license and get on the network and then take the laptop away, will we now have 4 users available in the office?  Some other solution?

I hope someone can help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: licenses vs users

You would simply add the additional serial number to the present ACT! installs.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

1. I will assume you're all sharing one ACT! database.
  2. That one ACT! database is on a server or someone's computer.
  3. Open ACT! on that computer, go to Help, Register ACT! and add the new serial number.
  4. While still on that computer, go into Tools, Manage Users and you should see a message towards that bottom that you have enough licenses for 1 more user.
  5. Change your users (separate Mike & Tim - meaning change Mike/Tim to Mike, and add Tim as another user and you should be fine.
Signature

Thank you for the detailed response. I'll buy a new copy of Act! and give it a shot.

Worked like a charm (extra user didn't show up until I quit and relaunched Act!)

Thanks again for your help.