Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

layout lost when converting DB

Tuned Listener

layout lost when converting DB

I upgraded from ACT 2006 to ACT 2010.  I was able to take my 2006 DB and layout with me when leaving a company.  I purchased ACT 2010 but it would not recognize my custom layout in the conversion process.  ACT support worked with me on the phone, loaded a temp ACT 2006 to my new PC, cleaned up the DB, and then converted it to ACT 2010.  Everything was fine until the next day.  All custom fields/data were lost and the DB reverted to the two standard layouts.  Cannot seem to restore the layout. - Mike

Re: layout lost when converting DB

Hello Mike,

When selecting the layout button, you do not see your customized layout?  If you browse to the database's layout folder, is the layout there?  If you have backup of the database, you can perform a restore as and copy the layout.

Tuned Listener

David,

The layout is not available under the layout button. 

The layout is in the directory but I cannot figure out how to access it with 2010.  We retrieved it for the 2006 before converting the DB and I don;t know if it is a 2006 use only.

Restore as? I tried but cannot get what I believe to the folder to open in the RESTORE AS field.  I am not very confident about how to do it.

Mike 

What is the extension of the layout?  Contact layouts are CLY files.
Copper Elite Contributor

http://tinyurl.com/y8vnk52

Did you try reconverting your 6.0 layout? 

Scott Lahn
Sage ACT! Customer Support
Tuned Listener

The layout is a CLY file.

The 2006 version that teh help personnel loaded to my machine will not open again.  It only worked during the help session and now has an error message.

thanks, Mike

Tuned Listener

I think I have corrected it.  Used TOOLS/CONVERT/CONVERT LAYOUT path to get it back.  Seems to SAVE, CLOSE and OPEN properly on first test. 

Thank you for the help.

Re: layout & user-created tab lost when upgrading from 2007 to 22011

Thanks for the thread - it helped me think through the issue I had.

Quickly:

upgraded from Act 2007 to Act 2011

had created 40+ fields, all contained in a user-created tab

after moving to 2011, I could not find the tab in the listed/offered tabs (it was not hidden either)

But I could not add the fields to a new (user created or not) tab, since Act thought they were in use

Solution - find the layout used in 2007, and update paste to the layout folder in the 2011 folder hierarchy. 

I don't think this is an ideal solution... but it worked for me.