Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

just had hard drive wiped clean, trying to find my saved database back up and re-install

just had hard drive wiped clean, trying to find my saved database back up and re-install

I just had my laptop DIE so I reinstalled ACT 2009 on my desktop running windows 7, the computer store backed up my hard drive on the desk top of the new computer. I can (i think) find the backed up database - how do I restore it to the new computer?

Silver Contributor

Re: just had hard drive wiped clean, trying to find my saved database back up and re-install

Look for a .adf file, a .alf file and a folder with the name of your database.  Once you find these, move them all to your new computer.  Then on the new computer, choose file, open but change the files of type entry on the file open box from .pad to .adf. This will  attach the .adf file to the sql instance on teh new computer and create a new pad file. once this has been done, you can move the pad file wherever you want an open the database from there.  Until you do this, the previous .pad file is useless  because it points to the old machine.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider