Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

issue reopeing or deleting emails in history

gdp

issue reopeing or deleting emails in history

A new problem just started. If I open an email in the history tab, then close and try to re-open it or delete the same email in history, I get an outlook message that the email cannot be opened because it is already opened or I don't have permission to open it. 

I can open anything in history once, but not twice unless I re-start Act.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Act Pro Ver 17.2, Windows 10, 64 bit desktop

Administrator

Re: issue reopeing or deleting emails in history

Hi gdp,

Are you recording the email history as an attachment in Act? If so, when you click on the .msg attachment to open it, are you closing both the Act history window and the Outlook message window before trying to reopen it?
I can only reproduce this error if I don't close the Outlook message window before trying to reopen the message attachment.
gdp

[ Edited ]

I am recording in Act history as you mentioned.  I click directly on the paperclip icon in the history item which bypasses the Act window and opens the email directly in outlook window.  Then close it and can't re-open.   I just tried to open the Act window first, then the message, close both and have the same issue.  Also, this issue is the same on 3 computers I have Act installed on.  Yesterday I completely removed Act and SQL servers, re-installed, and still have the same problem.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

It sounds like Outlook is staying open in the background when it should be closed.
After opening the attachment for the first time, when you look in task manager, do you see the email in the Applications tab? There should be two Outlook items in there, one for the main Outlook window, and another for the individual email window. If you now close the Outlook email window in the normal way, do you then see the application close in the task manager?

Are you running Act as administrator?

gdp

Followed your instrux and it worked as it should. Saw the outlook window in task manager and then it went away. Still can't open the email a second time and get the error message.  I am running Act as administrator.  I completely agree that outlook thinks the file is still open.  Running Outlook 2016 if that helps.

Administrator

I'm not sure why Outlook would still think it's open, or why restarting Act seems to solve the problem. The error message is being generated by Outlook which suggests that Act is sending the command to Outlook to open the email correctly, but Outlook is having trouble following the instruction.
We've been unable to replicate this issue in testing.

Perhaps try running an Office repair from Control Panel > Add or remove programs > Select Office 2016 > Change
gdp

I'll give the repair a shot and appreciate the help.  I'm guessing there is a bug in Outlook 2016 since this shows up on 3 different machines.  I'll let you know if the repair works.

Administrator

We've tested with Act v18.2, Windows 10 and Outlook 2016 and haven't yet encountered the issue.