Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

importing drop down lists

Astute Commentator

importing drop down lists

I am new to ACT 10.0 and trying to import a drop down list for SIC codes of 200+ codes and descriptions. I go through the motion of where is list append etc. but nothing happens.
I had list in excel saved as .txt file and copied to Word and saved as comma delimited and can see file is comma delimited.
Once I click ok on import nothing happens - no error message no calculation etc. click finish and that is it.
Any ideas?
Copper Super Contributor

Re: importing drop down lists

Make sure your column headings in your list are identical to the drop down values Value","Description
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's sometimes useful to do an Export from the drop down to ensure you're formatting it correctly
Astute Commentator

Thanks all for the reply! - I did export and when reviewing the export file I saw that it had to be in quotes (not sure why) restructed my file with " "  and it worked fine. Thanks for the help!

Now I am trying to figure out imports to check boxes. When I export it is TRUE or FALSE but that doesn't seem to work on import - any ideas?
Platinum Elite Contributor

so- when exporting drop down lists, they are automatically exported with ""'s and ready for import elsewhere?  i am having trouble exporting my contacts into excel (.txt) ...i was reading something about .rtf versus .txt or standard format.  does have something to do with it?  how do i get around it?  is purchasing a export add-on software the only way?
Astute Commentator

Again new to ACT and was only working with imports not exports. I only exported in order to try and determine "what" it was looking for in order to import so I can't be much help.

I have been doing trial and error and on imports and all I can say is I have not found any documentation that discusses in detail and csv from Word operates differently than csv from Excel which is proabaly why there is no great documentation. The little export I did worked fine.

I am sure there are others  on this board that has a lot more experience than me.

Good luck Smiley Wink
Copper Super Contributor

"so- when exporting drop down lists, they are automatically exported with ""'s and ready for import elsewhere?  i am having trouble exporting my contacts into excel (.txt) ...i was reading something about .rtf versus .txt or standard format.  does have something to do with it?  how do i get around it?  is purchasing a export add-on software the only way?"

.csv and .txt are standard export formats and they work the same way regardless of what you use to open them. What kind of trouble are you having?
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA