Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

importing act 9.0 database from one pc to another pc with act 9.0

importing act 9.0 database from one pc to another pc with act 9.0

i have act premium (version 9.0.0.557) on one pc (PC A) with a database that i want to put on another pc (PC B) that has regular act (version 9.0.1.162).  they are both version 9.0.  the database on PC A has already been backed up and is in a zip file, which i transferred to PC B.  i opened ACT on PC B and under file chose to import.  it doesn't seem to want me to open this file.  i've never done this before so not sure how to do it properly.  i did extract the zip file so i have it in zipped and unzipped versions but either way it doesn't allow me to open it.  when the import wizard asks me to browse to the file i can see the file.  it appears as though it's looking for one of two file extensions - .pad and.adf.  my file is a zip file and i don't know what the extensions of the extracted versions of that zip file are.  can someone help me figure this out.  thanks.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: importing act 9.0 database from one pc to another pc with act 9.0

Try File | Restore | Restore As.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

i tried file/restore/restore as and it looked like it was working.  after it said that the restore was successful it said something along the lines of - this database can only be restored to the same version of ACT.  does that mean the exact same version with the slight field tweaks, which is where this database is coming from OR does it just mean ACT 9.0 premium workgroup version.  the version i tried this restore as to is just generic act 9.0?  what do you think?  joe
Nickel Elite Contributor

The same build of the ACT! program. It sounds like you were trying to restore a 9.0.1 database on a 9.0.0 version. If you were restoring on a later version, it would simply update the database schema so it sounds like you were restoring to an earlier build.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

This issue is because you are trying to restore an ACT! Premium database into ACT! Standard.  You will have to save the database into Standard format, then back it up and use "Restore As". Here are the steps:

1) On the machine with the 9.0.0.557 and ACT! Premium, open the database

2) Go to File/Save Copy As

3) From the dropdown at the botton choose ACT! 2007

4) Follow the rest of the steps in the dialogue box to save a copy of the database in Standard format

5) When the copy has been created successfully, then go to File/Open Database and open the copy...then make a backup of that database

6) Move this backup to the ACT! Standard machine and use "Restore As" to restore it

7) After the backup restores and you open it, you will then be prompted to update to the newer build (9.0.1.162)

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

i tried your instructions but am having a problem.  i double clicked ACT from desktop, entered password, and ACT opened with the database open as well.  i went to file but there is no Save As.  I can't seem to figure out how to save it as another version of ACT?  Help. 

thanks for the instructions but there is no Save As option, what should I do?

Platinum Elite Contributor

In ACT! it's File | Save Copy As. Then you can save a copy as the standard version. However, then you will need to use ACTDIAG to disconnect the database from the SQL server and then move the ADB and ADF files separately to the other machine and open the database by double clicking on the ADF file. That will create a new PAD file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

i did mean save copy as.  same as what you referred to but i just didn't complete the phrase.

save copy as is grayed out.  i went to file/open database and then opened it once i entered my password.  the database is open and then i when to file/save copy as and it is grayed out.  i need to cpy this premium version 9 database a put it on another pc with regular act.  what would you do next?