Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

iPhone application for ACT!

iPhone application for ACT!

If SalesForce.com can have something like this:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=281826146&mt=8

ready to go TODAY, BEFORE the launch of the new firmware on the iPhone, why can't Sage?

Even CompanionLink has a product for this already, but at $140 to get it up and running, it seems a bit overpriced.

http://companionlink.com/iphone/

Re: iPhone application for ACT!

Please please continue development on a product that will work on Iphone.  I sync using Companionlink through Outlook, but the problem is the Iphone has a terrible contact manager.

Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Just one clarification: the CompanionLink solution is $99.95 one-time.  There is a $9.95/month wireless sync service fee.

The iClink app that needs to be installed on the iPhone is now free.

I have been using CompanionLink Express with the wired option that's only 49.95.  The synching is excellent through Outlook.

My issue and I think it remains with the wireless.  The contacts can not be sorted by company name. 

Am I correct?

Tom

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, that's a limitation of the iPhone, whose contact list can only be sorted in one of the following two formats:

First, Last

Last, First

One workaround (if you really wanted to sort by Company Name) is to enter the Company name in the First Name field.  You can then use the Company field to sort the contact name, if you wanted to.  It's not pretty, but it will work.

Message Edited by clink on 05-08-2009 09:29 AM

No good solutions for integrating ACT! database with iPhone and iPod touch

Yes, I agree.   As an old converted HP ipaq user I've been pouring over solutions to integrate ACT! with my new iPod Touch / iPhone.  I have even tried the demo Companion Link product which pulls ACT! data first into Outlook and then into the iPhone.  Doesn't it seem like this is a round-about method of getting things synchonized?  Why wouldn't the user just switch to Outlook if he (or she) was going to do all that!!???!  That would be more direct and you could skip the $50 add-on.  Outlook came with my computer as part of MS Office.  Nevertheless, when I did get everything synchronized (using Companion Link) it only pulled the first history item and it was very difficult to do a last name or keyword search using the Apple contact manager interface.  There is a real need for a mobile version of ACT! for iPhone. I am researching Bento or possible online solutions such as Google contacts.  Have been unimpressed (and really quite surprised) that ACT! does not interface with the incredibly popular Apple Product.  I'm looking to switch if the situation does not change.  

Again, If it's going through Outlook then why not just use Outlook?  In the model you described the information has to do a two-step.  First from ACT! to Outlook.  Then from Outlook to iPhone.  Solution is totally inefficient and sub-standard. 

The issue is that ACT! is a robust CRM database that many sales people like me use.    Outlook is basically a contact manager.  Additonally, the Iphone doesn't allow sort and find capabilities.  I have 950 contacts. Too many to scroll, the tapping of the alphabet works sort of, and entering the contact requires getting to the top of the contact list.  Try that while driving!!

The App: ABC Contacts at least helps with the sorting issue.

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

First off, TBanghart hit the nail on the head.  Outlook is simply a contact manager, period.  Even Microsoft has acknowledged that by adding "Business Contact Manager" (BSM) as an option and most interface programs link to basic Outlook and not BSM, the contact sets between Outlook and BSM even exist as seperate entities.  The problem that I have is that as a simple contact manager, I have no link between contact information (including history) and calendar events that automatically get added to contact info.  Contact managers, and hence Outlook,  keep contact information and activities in the calendars as completely seperate issues. 

ACT used to have an HP palmtop application that put ACT on a portable device that linked seamlessly with ACT on the desktop.  Even though I'm still a marginal user of ACT (marginal because of this lack of integration), I'm still waiting for them to catch up on this capability that was available 10 years ago.  This application allowed me to transfer all of the contact, history, and user fields to the portable device and search and sort as I required.  I make cold calls into a specific vertical market and have seperated my customers/prospects into geographic regions.  I used to be able to pull up a list of companies based on user fields of only those customers in a specific geographic region and add notes from the call on the fly that sync back into the the contact information on the desktop.  I could also set an appointment on the portable device that was an integral part of the contact informaiton and history and have that sync'd back into the desktop.  The calander item and the contact information have an inherent and dependent link.  This is HUGELY important in a CRM system.  Again, Outlook is simply a contact manager as correctly potinted out by TBanghart as calendar and contact information have no relationship to each other.

For all of us "Road Warriors" out there, we need a single and seperate application for the iPhone and PalmPre that gives us ACT on a SmartPhone device.  An Outlook interface is a cop-out and the lazy way of creating a truly useful extension of  ACT.  I will be a marginal user of ACT until this is fixed.  It's a big and glaring problem.  You cannot use the Contact List on the iPhone, this simply perpetuates Outlooks weaknesses.  NOT a solution.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I hope your program becomes useful to those of us who spend more time on the road vs. in the office and who won't run a laptop on their passenger seats. 

KC

Message Edited by KCaudell on 11-15-2009 07:42 AM
Message Edited by KCaudell on 11-15-2009 07:43 AM
Copper Contributor

Makes sense.  Your requests reflect what others our undoubtedly asking for.

For iClink (CompanionLink's iPhone app), sorting and searching are planned updates that should be available in iPhone soon.  We are working to upgrade the Contact experience on the iPhone, Android and Palm webOS devices to be closer to what was available in past devices, like Palm Treo.