Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

i can`t install act no matter what!!!!

i can`t install act no matter what!!!!

i`m very new to this and i`ve tried installing this on xp home edition and my laptop vista basic home but to no avail i have a gig of memory 512mb x 2 but when i try installing this all i ever get is this message hopefully somebody can help me out here. it does try to install and then this pops up saying act! cannot be installed on a compressed folder please choose a different folder that is not compressed. ?? and it just stops there i`ve tried every folder to install it but nothing. what i`m trying to do is introduce this to my company i`m with right now because i`ve seen what it can do at another business i was in and its amazing how it works and the things it can really do. and maybe even make a few bucks introducing it to my company if there is a way you can make some $$ by getting them to buy the program if so how would one go about making a few$$ with it but my main concern right now is first getting it installed so i can present it to my company.
thank-you people for any help on this
Dave in canada..
bless.....

my version is 7.01, 100, 1027
Copper Contributor

Re: i can`t install act no matter what!!!!

Hi Dave,

If you're going to try to get your company to purchase ACT!, I'd suggest that instead of using your current version 7 you download the latest version 10.01 and give it a try using the 30-day free trial.  With any luck your installation problems will disappear.

As for that issue... have you checked the compression settings? 

First, right-click on your drive (C:\?) and select Properties. At the bottom, make sure that "Compress drive to save space" is not enabled.

Then check your folders... right-click on one and select Properties.  Click on the Advanced... button in the lower-right and again make sure "Compress contents to save disk space" isn't enabled.

HTH,
jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

THANKS

thanks alot for such a fast responce here to this i`ve done what you`ve said here and waiting for it to complete its doing the thing here now its going to take a bit because i`ve added sub folders and all of it says its going to take a bit to complete then i`ll give it a try and install it again this 10.01 trial where can i download this?
thanks alot once again for this help

DAVE
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: THANKS

thanks alot for this but now another problem??

well thanks for the new zip file i`ve downloaded this and it worked great until it started giving me these messages i`ll say what it said to me here.

an installation package for the product microsoft sql server native client cannot be found try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.
and another one saying same thing but an installation package for the product microsoft sql server vss writer cannot be found try  the installation using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlwriter.msi'.

then another one comes up sayingunable to start iis admin service 1:-1104 2: this came up twice
so i`m not sure what to do now it did install ok but wont let me do anything else..
thanks again for any help on this
DAVE
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: thanks alot for this but now another problem??

Is this under Vista or XP?

I haven't tried their download, but I'd hope it should work.

I'll ask one of the Moderators if they know of a reliable trial download.

BTW: you say you have 1GB RAM... while this is good for XP, Vista will take nearly all of that to load. You really should have 2GB for Vista
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: thanks alot for this but now another problem??

[ Edited ]
Hi,

The trials have been removed from the general ACT site.

However, the error you are receiving is not related to the actual download file.

Take a look at this kb. It will give you instructions on how to manually extract sql and resolve the error.

"Error Message Referring to an "installation package for the product cannot be found" Such as the Nat..."

Message Edited by neil_beam on 03-06-2008 09:09 AM