Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to change a contact to a company??

Copper Contributor

how to change a contact to a company??

I just converted an ACT!6 DB to ACT!11 - I have many "contacts" with no contact info just company data.

How can I mass change these contacts to companies?????????

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: how to change a contact to a company??

Export the Contacts to CSV and import them as Companies. Then delete the original Contacts
Copper Contributor

thanks, but what happens to the history when I do that???????????

when I do it one by one internal to the program the history stays with the contact but also appears on the company.

If I delete the contact, I think the history goes with it. I'm not certain and haven't sacrificed one to find out yet.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Ahhh... you have history that you want to keep? That's different... It makes it quite difficult.

There are ways to convert Groups to Companies for users of ACT! 6.0 and earlier who used Groups for this, but I haven't seen one that converts Contacts while retaining extended data

While there it can be done, it's a big job and you'd really need it to want to do it.

One option would be to export the Contacts (with extended data) with something like itExport, then import as Companies with itImport

You should make sure you keep good backups while playing with ideas for this... if not sure how, see:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html

Copper Contributor

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I just tried deleting a CONTACT that I had created a COMPANY from. It DID delete the notes and history that appeared in the COMPANY record.

I guess I'll just have to leave them in the contact records also.

thanks........