Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to Restore from .ADF, .ALF and .PAD file in another version of ACT

Tuned Listener

how to Restore from .ADF, .ALF and .PAD file in another version of ACT

Hi All, 

This is something challenging for me. I have a client who was using ACT 10 with one Database whose size went on till 4.5 GB and somehow ACT was behaving odd. So, they wanted to move onto New Version of ACT Premium. They have not taken any kind of Backup till now. Nor they have set scheduler for the same. They use to take cold back like going to the DB path and copy all AF, ALF.  And .Pad file with Template folder. So i got this as a backup file which i tried to open from ACT Premium 2013 Version. But i was not able to open. I deleted .pad file and tried to open .adf file which took me to verify windows, it was taking long time nearly a day but in return there was nothing. so was wondering what it would be then i realise that the DB name has some special character like "&" so i removed that i tried to open again now time it went but it was not able to recreate Index and some other error was there which was not allowing to open the DB.

ACT 10 has SQL 2005 and ACT 2013 has SQL 2008 version.

Kindly suggest me if i am going wrong or if you have any other good solutions please let me know i will need to know give access to New ACT with Old data on it.

Regards, 

Aasif Shaikh

aasifs@aariasoft-tech.com

Silver Contributor

Re: how to Restore from .ADF, .ALF and .PAD file in another version of ACT

Here is an article we wrote on the subject.

http://www.acttrainer.com/moving-an-act-database-to-another-machine-when-there-is-no-backup/

You can convert from the old version to the new version, but you won't be able to save backward nor will you be able to open the new version from the computer with the old version loaded on it.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

Hi jonmklub,

Thank you for your quick reply onto my issue.

I have followed the steps before posting the issue, but sorry missed to mention errors occurred while doing the steps.

I was getting 2 errors which are mentioned below:

1) Exceptions occurred while executing the database Schema Update Script. Contact your Administrator for assistance.

2) Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name index.

I have tried to repair database from ActDiag which did not help me much. So what could be the issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Aasif

aasifs@aariasoft-Tech.com

Tuned Listener

Hey Jonmklub, 

Thank you for your Help.

I was able to resolve the issue with your suggestion and with applying HotFix. I was able to convert Older version to Newer Version Database for ACT.

Thanks and Regards, 

Aasif

Aasifs@aariasoft-tech.com