Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how good is the ACT WEB?

how good is the ACT WEB?

any limitation on setting up and using the ACT WEB? just need a sequel server? thanks guys.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: how good is the ACT WEB?

You need an IIS server... ACT! installs it's own SQL instance.

How many users and contacts are you looking at?
What sort of server will you be using?
Is the server going to be dedicated to ACT! or shared for other applications (web or local)?

we are currently have 10 users in 3 different states.  6 users will be work on the road so we are thinking moving to a workgroup and ACT WEB.  we will have two server, one is window 2003 which is for remote users.  another one is a SBS 2005 sequel server for ACT OPS MYOB and an exchange server. 

we have about 14000 contacts in our database.  do we need a server dedicated for WEB?

How much RAM on the Exchange server?

One of the big problems with Exchange is that it will take all available RAM with no way to limit it. This can cause issues for ACT! if you don't have plenty of memory
Copper Contributor

Wanted to make you aware that there is a whitepaper available here: http://www.act.com/docs/2008/whitepapers/ACT08_Scalability_WP_08-05540_FINAL.pdf detailing scalability testing results that we have performed on ACT!.  It covers ACT! Premium for Web.

Cheers
Pierre

Pierre, one thing that I think that's missing from that document is drive speed.

My personal testing has showed that this can be more important than increasing RAM or Processor speed in may environments
Copper Contributor

Good point.  This paper focuses on scalability, where drive speeds of 7200RPM are "normal".  The biggest improvement for startup performance for the Windows client (based on what can be done via hardware changes) is upgrading the drive speed.  I always recommend 7200RPM for laptops for applications that are heavy on IO.  Sometimes I get pushback, like when my wife (who uses photoshop extensively) was not quite convinced that the laptop with te 7200RPM drive was important since it did not come in a funky color Smiley Wink

Pierre 

I'd demand a colour drive :-)

But the problem is most laptops come standard with 5400rpm drives and this is slow for .Net/SQL application... fortunately, upgrading to a 7200 isn't to expensive anymore. I just wish the manufacturers would make more models standard with 7200.

I have very similar situation. About 6 persons traveling, and in remote offices, and three at HQ, and I would like their ACTs to be synchronyzed. 3 of us are users at this time, but synchronize only by copying our ACT data files to a central server. (which is just a PC) I think the tool to use is ACT Web. Has anyone used it in an environment like ours? (about 5000 contact records in total, between all users.)