Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

hotfix 1 on Act!2008 (10.0) prevents ability to create new database

hotfix 1 on Act!2008 (10.0) prevents ability to create new database

I have Act! 2008, have installed it on Windows XP Pro, and it installs and works fine.  Once I download the hotfix1 from the website and install it, I am no longer able to create a new database.  When trying to create a new database, I get the error: "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"

Uninstalling Act!, reinstalling from CD, it all works fine.  Apply the hotfix, it does not work.  Unfortunately the hotfix upgraded the databases and I can not simply use the CD version without the hotfix.  Any ideas as to how to apply the hotfix and be able to create a new database?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: hotfix 1 on Act!2008 (10.0) prevents ability to create new database

listove,

The Sage knowledge base has the following entry that may be helpful for you:  Answer ID 14682.

MrWright

Unfortunately after installing Act!2008 with the selective startup mode (and being able to create a new database) and installing the hotfix from within Act! while still in the selective startup mode, I then get the error "Object reference not set . . ." when trying to create a new database.

Why is this hotfix corrupting my version of Act!?  How can I repair this?

What build of ACT! 2008 are you using?  You can check by going to Help -> About ACT!.

ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1

[ Edited ]

The hotfix doesn't update the schema of the database and it only updates two DLLs as stated in the PDF attached the following KB article.

act.hotfix.dll

act.shared.utilities.dll

How To Download and Apply the ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0.3) Hotfix 1

Plus the hotfix is already included in the 10.0.3 update.  So what you can try to do is uninstall ACT! and install from a full 10.0.3 download.  I will PM (yellow envelope towards upper right) you a link so you can download the full 10.0.3 installation.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-24-2008 11:54 AM

Did the download, restarted in selective startup mode, did the install, same problem when trying to create a new database. Act! still works with the existing databases.  Any other ideas?  Is it a SQL issue?(I do run software that employs SQL Server 2003 on a server, but the Act database is only used on my machine)

This is still an unresolved issue.  After uninstalling Act, I also cleared out the registry to no avail. I believe it may be a SQL issue.  Any suggestions involving SQL server?  As I said previously, we use SQL Server 2003 with Sage's MAS500.

Check your DPI settings, make sure they are set to Normal Size (96 DPI).

You can review the steps in the following knowledgebase article.

Calendar View Shows All Mini Calendars