Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

finding a field

finding a field

Hello,

To pull the birthday's for a month I run a report, but when I have to select the fields there are three different birthday fields I can pull from; birthdate, contact birthday, or contact bday. I have located where contact birthday is, but I don't know where the other two are. Is there a way to find where these fields are pulling from and how to copy information from either two and paste them into contact birthday. 

LLAP

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: finding a field

[ Edited ]

Tough one to handle on the forum but,

Rite mouse clicking on your fields, will show you the TRUE name of that field.

You may find that info in your user fields tab?

You may find this useful;

On top of your ACT! toolbar, select Edit and look at how the commands work to

Replace, Swap, Copy..data.Smiley LOL  fsb

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello dsmithfl007,
If you are unable to see you fields on the layout, try this:
- Go Tools ? Design Layouts > Contact
- When the designer opens, press F4 on your keyboard to open the Properties box on the right
- In the dropdown at the top of the Properties box, scroll down and select the field you are looking for
The field should be selected on the layout grid. It may off the side or under one of the tabs.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I appreciate the response. Your suggestion was very helpful. I had looked into that before but never knew about f4.

However, in that drop down there is no "contact bday" field. How can that be when I can pull a report for "contact bday"?

Also, I just thought of this... A while ago we updated from act 03 to 10. Under the "contact birthday" field, most of the birthdays were rolled forward one day. Not sure if that factors into all of this.

I would go into Tools > Define Fields and verify that field name you are searching for. The text label for the field may be different than the actual field name.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

It is there. But its not in the layout design window, so I don't know how to find it.

[ Edited ]

It is a Contact field, right? Not Company, Group, or Opportunity? If it exists in the database it should be in the list in the Properties window for the corresponding layout type.

If you go to the Contact List view, click the Options button in the upper right of the list, and choose Customize Columns - is it in the list of available columns?

Greig Hollister

Yes it is there, so why wouldn't it be showing up in the design layout window?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Let me ask you a question please. Is this your first time at modifying a Layout?Smiley HappyFSBill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Can you clarify - does the field show in the dropdown list at the top of the Properties window (F4) in the layout designer? On the layout itself, it may just be out of view or so small you can't see it. If you see the field on the Properties list, you my be able to make it "stand out" by changing the value for Background (under Appearance) to Red, and under Size, making the height and width 1000 x 1000. Once you see it, you can change those values back to normal.

comm_pic.jpg

Greig Hollister