Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

fatal Redemption problem prevented sending mail merges out of Outlook - is zipi the culprit?

Copper Contributor

fatal Redemption problem prevented sending mail merges out of Outlook - is zipi the culprit?

[ Edited ]

Hi

One day, one of my users (running windows XP, outlook 2003, Act! 10.0.3) could no longer send mail merges in outlook from ACT.   She kept getting the following error.

===

Unable to cast COM object of type 'RedemptionSafeMailItemClass' to interface type 'Redemption.ISafeMailItem'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{OA95BE2D-1543-46BE-AD6D-18653034BF87}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).

====

We tried dropping in the redemption.dll and the interop.redemption.dll from the ACT installation disk, and re-registering them and assembling them, to no avail.  The problem remained.  Things went so far as to uninstall and reinstall ACT, and to uninstall Office and ACT and reinstall them both.    After a day of two smart IT people trying, they ended up wiping the computer clean and reinstalling everything.   

We still don't know what the cause was, but we have an "interesting coincidence." 

We learned near the end of trying to fix this, that a piece of software called zipi -- an Outlook plugin from zoominfo --  had been installed on her machine, had run for a few days with no problems, and then had been uninstalled the day before this error started.  (the user had it uninstalled simply because the plugin didn't do what she was hoping for).  

There was no restart after the zipi uninstall;  the computer was shut down that night, and restarted the next morning -- and that morning the problems began.

Zipi also uses Redemption (as ACT does), and we suspect, but don't know, that something deeply buried got corrupted when we uninstalled zipi.

Does anyone have a thought on the zipi theory, or other theories? 

Message Edited by btoman on 10-30-2008 01:00 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: fatal Redemption problem prevented sending mail merges out of Outlook - is zipi the culprit?

Shameless bump.  Smiley Happy

No takers on this??

Re: fatal Redemption problem prevented sending mail merges out of Outlook - is zipi the culprit?

[ Edited ]

Your theory is correct.  I went and installed ZIPI and then uninstalled.  I was getting the same error as you.  I resolved it by drag n' dropping Redemption.dll over regsvr32.exe in C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 10-31-2008 04:03 PM
Nickel Elite Contributor

This is what is going on here.

Zipi indeed uses the Redemption.dll, however, they have renamed the dll in their application calling it zimapi.dll instead of the true name of Redemption.dll.

The version of this file is 4.6 when installed via Zipi.

The version of this file when installed with your version of ACT! (10.03 I believe was mentioned) is 4.4. 

When you uninstalled Zipi, it unregistered the zimapi.dll removing the references in the registry, thus pulling the rug out from under ACT!.

The fix for this is to reregister the "redemption.dll" contained in the ACT! program as David points out in his response. 

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Dear Matt and David

Thanks very much -- especially you, David, for reproducing the error, and to you Matt for the additional explanation!!

I wish I could try your solutions but we already wiped her clean and started over.  We'll keep all this on record in case this happens again!

(I would check this as Solved but I don't know if I can check two answers as being the Solution.)

Also -- for you folks running the board, it would be nice if there was another option other than "Solved" -- quite often on this board a matter is laid to rest, but not "solved" in any meaningful way.   Plenty of times the answer to a question is "you can't do that" or "that is a known problem" or "wipe your computer clean and start over."    None of those should ever, ever be called 'solved."  So how about something like "Definitively answered" or the like. 

Hello,

I'm a software developer currently working on Zipi. Here are some explanations and a status update:

• Zipi uses a customized version of Redemption – hence the name change to zimapi.dll. Redemption allows developers to generate customized versions of it, in order to prevent clashes such as this one.

• I have been in contact with the developer of Redemption, who confirms that there is a problem with uninstalling customized DLLs when one of the apps is a  .Net app. He is currently working on a fix.
    This is the detailed technical explanation I received: "The problem is that ACT! Code is in C#, which references the Redemption type library at run-time and the TL library GUID is not customized, which causes their code to fail. Other languages (C++, Delphi, VB, etc) do not use TL at run-time, so this is a .Net specific issue. I am working on a fix, which would customize the TL GUID along with the other interfaces GUIDs. "

• We're considering modifying our uninstaller to work around this problem by re-registering the pre-existing version of Redemption – though I hope we get a fixed version of Redemption soon, so that we don't have to take that route.

• Thanks for your help in locating this problem. Zipi is currently in its Beta phase, and that's exactly what Beta's are for!

Regards,

Itzy Sabo

Copper Contributor

Has anyone tried the following... (pseudo code)

IF ZIPI not UNinstalled:

(1)  Start - Run   RegSvr32 "?:\whateverpath\zimapi.dll" /U

Else ' (Zipi uninstalled and non-shinola exists)

(1) REInstall zipi

(2) Close Outlook (And ACT!)

(3) Start - Run RegSvr32 "c:\whateverpath\zimapi.dll" /U ' (ie Uninstall the "CUSTOM" version of Redemption)

(4) UNinstall Zipi

End If

Thought being, the zipi uninstall does not actually uninstall their app if ACT! is open.

By Reinstalling zipi - then it may be possible to uninstall their custom DLL manually.

I also have a support ticket into Dmitry Streblechenko for his advice. (I am a paid up Redemption distributor)

Cheers,
Kevin 

====================

Kevin Ritch
Middleware SDK Support Manager
V8Software