Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

exporting email addresses only in Act v. 10

exporting email addresses only in Act v. 10

I am attempting to export only email addresses from my Group. The Wizard does not give me an Email field option at all. Lots of other options (address 1, address 2 etc.), but no email addresses. Any assistance so appreciated... I'm on the edge here...
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: exporting email addresses only in Act v. 10

Kathy,

Perhaps you are doing something wrong.  You do have an option for e-mail addresses when exporting from Act! 10, but not from within groups.  You can, however, perform a Group Lookup and then use the export option...

Lookup | Groups | Name, then select the group name you want to export and choose the option to Replace Lookup...then

File | Export, then choose your export type and filename, Next

Check Contact Records, Current Lookup, Next

Specify your contact options

Now choose your the fields you want to export...E-mail, E-mail 2, E-mail3, or E-mail 4.

Hope this helps.

MrWright

MrWright, thank you for your help. I have done exactly as you instructed, and all goes well except at the end when I finally open the delimited file:  it still contains all of the email addresses from my entire list instead of just the group list. The Lookup/Groups/Name/choose name goes well and I see just the group list at the end of that part of the process, and the export process goes well, except it is still pulling all emails instead of just those from the group.  I am faced with going into the delimited file and manually deleting email addresses.... ugh.

I'm finding ACT to be considerably less flexible and accomodating than I anticipated it would be. It's a contact management system, why would it be so difficult to export the contacts?  I hope it gets better as I go along my learning curve with it.

Kathy

Kathy,

In the Group view, right click the group you want to export and select Create Lookup.  Then do the normal steps to export current lookup.

Copper Elite Contributor

Kathy,

I don't know what to tell you.  I did it again this morning and it worked pefectly.  I think you may be missing something in the process.  The one thing I know about Act! is if you don't specify the Lookup when working with Contact Records, you will either default to the Currect Record or All Records.

Here's what I suggest.  In your database, click on Lookup | All Contacts.  That will ensure you have all records chosen.  Note the number of contacts in the upper-left corner.  Now, perform the lookup being sure to Replace Lookup.  Now, look at the number of contacts again in the upper-left hand corner.  Has it changed?  If not, then you are not creating the lookup correctly.  If it did, then peform the export again.  Make sure that when you get to the screen Export Wizard (2 of 5), that you choose Contact Records and Current Lookup.

Here is a link to Act! on exporting to *.txt files.  Answer ID 13882 - How to Export Your Contact Data from ACT! to a Text Delimited File

Beyond that, there are the basic things you can do, but are probably unrelated.  Have you updated to version 10.0.3?  Have you performed database maintenance?

MrWright