05-25-2011 01:01 PM
My hard drive crashed. It has been replaced, ACT installed, downloaded my cloud ACT copy database. This is my main database that has 3 others syncing with it. I see the remote database files have been restored.
when trying to open the database I receive the following error message:
The log scan number (3437:441:1563) passed to log scan in database “Employers” is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file .ldf does not match the data file (.mdf)
I have enabled sharing
compatibility mode is not enabled
computer name is the same as before
Went to detach the database from the SQL server - and my database does not appear? Only the DEMO database appears. This must be my problem but I have no idea how to fix it?
05-25-2011 01:18 PM
the error message says:
the log scan number passed to log scan in database "database" is not valid. This error may indicate the log file (ldf) does not match the datafile (mdf)
got carried away with cutting and pasting - the original post is not the actual error message
05-25-2011 03:17 PM
Hello, Check this tech document from Sage.
Answer ID 27607 How To Use the Sage ACT! Diagnostics Administrator's Tool (Version 14).
See the first section. Attach Database to SQL.
Use only your <filename>.ADF file.
09-06-2012 08:36 AM
I'm getting the same error on ACT! 2012 in Windows 7:
The log scan number (393:4845:21) passed to log scan in database "CWilliams' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, recreate the publication. Otherwise restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup. Could not open new database 'CWilliams'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
This occurred after I uninstalled ACT! 2012 and the sql server (ACT!) instance and reinstalled because it was giving me an SQL error after a Windows update.
I have tried going to actdiag, but my database (and a month old backup) are not showing.
I am on a single laptop with no sharing.
I'm limited in my ability to help myself, but I desperately need my database. Any help is appreciated.
09-07-2012 07:05 AM
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. This error usually indicates that the log file for the database (.alf) is missing or damaged. In some cases, it could mean the database itself (.adf) is corrupted. You can attempt to rebuild the log file using this method:
- Close ACT!
- Click your Windows Start buttton, click Run or go to the Search box, and type actdiag. This will open the ACT! Diagnostics tool (ACTDiag)
- Select Databases > Database List.
- Locate your database in the list, click to the left of it to highlight it, then right-click on it and select Detach Database. Click Yes.
- Open Windows Explorer and browse to the location of your database.
- Delete the .ALF file for the database, (i.e. "mydatabase.alf") and the .PAD file for the database (i.e, "mydatabase.pad")
- Go back to the ACTDiag tool and select Tools > Attach ACT! Database > Missing Log File
- Click the button at the end of the field, and browse to and select the .ADF file for your database. Click OK, click Yes.
- When finished, click OK, then close the tool
- Open ACT! - you mat get an error that the last database cannot be opened. Cancel the error.
- Go to File > Open/Share Database. Click the link at the bottom of the box for "The database I want is not listed"
- Change the file type in the Open box from .PAD to .ADF
- Browse to the location of your database and open the .ADF file for it
- You wil get a message the database needs to be verified. Click OK and after a minute or two the database should open
If it does not open then the database iteself may be corrupted.
Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.