Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

error message

error message

I am getting an error message that says, "selected field cannot be linked contact field length must be greater than or equal to comapny field length".  Does anyone know what this means?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: error message

Hello Sandy,
This error message that the defined field length of the contact field is smaller than that of the company field you are trying to link it too. This would be an issue if the data in the company field exceeds the maximum field length of the contact field you are trying to update. To fix this, go to Tools > Define Fields, edit the Contact field, changing the field length to be the same or greater than the Company field you are attempting to link it to.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I do not see anything that allows me to change the field length for the company or the contact when I go into the edit mode.

[ Edited ]

If you go to the main menu, select the Tools menu, then select Define Fields, then double-click the contact field you are trying to link, the second or third screen should have a field for "Field length".

I would expect to see this error when attempting to link a contact field to a company field from the Define Fields dialog...are you seeing it elsewhere?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Super Contributor

Sounds like you are trying to link a contact field that is shorter than the length of the desired Company field...

In other words, lets say that you are linking a field called "Category" on the contact record that is 25 characters long to a similar field on the Company record, but the company record is 35 characters.

In the Define fields tool from the Tools menu, you will need to make the length of the Category field (in your  case - whatever the real field name is) to at least 35 characters.  Then try linking them again.

Be sure before making any of these changes to back up your database from the File menu in ACT! just as a precaution.

I figured it out...  The company field and the contact field were identically named.  So, I had to change the name of the contact fields that I was trying to link.  All is well.  Thanks so much for your help.

Glad to hear you got it resolved, but the company and contact fields having the same name should not cause this error. If you don't mind, what version of ACT! are you using (from Help > About ACT!)?

Thanks,

Greig Hollister

Premium 2011