Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

error message "unable to retrieve schema metadata"

Copper Contributor

error message "unable to retrieve schema metadata"

I use Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 4  - I have windows 7 on my computer. 

I received the error message "unable to retrieve schema metadata" --  and "an error has been found / for this to be fixed a database lock will need to be applied and all users will be locked out. Would you like to repair the database now? 

I clicked NO - in fear I would be locked out indefinitely... so I then did a Database Maintenance Check and Repair/ which was successfully completed.  I am concerned that even though Act appears to be working fine, there may still be a problem with the schema metadata. 

Additionally , i noticed in my email that my daily database backup task failed.  (My backup is scheduled for 11pm, but the failure time/ message time is shown below as 3.38am. I'm not sure if that means anything. My backup still seems to be set up as usual.) 

Time: Friday, November 16, 2018 3:38:35 AM

Error:

Failed to log into the database. Failed to open a connection to the database.

Do you think anything needs to be done regarding the "unable to retrieve schema metadata" error? I couldn't find anything recent online.  Thanks! 

Employee

Re: error message "unable to retrieve schema metadata"

Hello,

Always make a manual back up first by going to File> Backup

Close Act!.
Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
Type actdiag in the Open field, and then click OK. The Act! Diagnostics utility launches.
Click the Databases button and select database list . A list of your databases appears.
Click the gray rectangle on the left side of your database name to select the entire row displaying the database information.
Right Click the specified database and under Database Rebuild, select Rebuild Act! Metadata.
Click Yes to proceed. The Rebuild Act! Metadata mes appears.
Click OK to complete the Rebuild Act! Metadata
Launch Act! and test it.

Carl Mag
Act! Support

Copper Contributor

Thanks very much. I did that and it opened. Hopefully it will be the "fix!" As long as that is the only issue, it seems I am good to go! Many thanks. 

While I have you here, since I have Act Pro 18, what is your thought about the upgrade issue? Do I understand correctly that other than potentially being locked out for 7 days in January, I'm ok to keep v18? 
OR do you recommend I upgrade to 21? If I'm locked out for good I would be devastated! Smiley Sad   

Thanks, Carl. 

Sue

Employee

Hello,

In order to ensure uninterrupted access to your product, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade to latest version of Act! by December 31, 2018

An embedded third-party software component of Act! that facilitates licensing services is being discontinued by the manufacturer at the end of 2018. Read the full statement 
here.

As of January 1st, 2019 Act! v18.x will no longer be able to:

• Install Act! on new machines
  • Re-activate Act! on existing machines
  • Modify your user count
  • Make key modifications to existing machines (eg. Motherboard swap, network card swap)

Should you elect not to upgrade to Act! v21, we have decided to make available a one-time update for v18.x products that seeks to address this specific issue in January, 2019. We cannot and do not make any representations as to how long this one-time update will provide the functionality of Act! that you expect. Please note that this decision to provide you with the update in this instance shall not be precedent, or require us to provide, neither now nor in the future, any fixes for additional issues that may or will arise after the date of obsolescence as specified in the Act! Support Obsolescence Policy. 

Update 7 for v18.2 is expected to be available on January 8th, 2019.

Carl

Act! Support