Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

error message from backup software

error message from backup software

I migrated to a new computer.  Now, when using my offsite backup program, i get the following error, even without Act running.

Could not back up c:\documents and settings\all users\documents\act\act for windows\email\12\actemail\messagestore.mdf because it was open or in use.  Try closing all open applications and running the backup again.

What is running this file?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: error message from backup software

Hello Mlsphd,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

There are a few files that are locked by the Microsoft SQL Server service.  The *.mdf, *.adf, and *.alf files are password protected through the Act! instance and will not be accessible by the backup program.  The recommended way to backup your database is through the Act! program (File > Backup > Database) or through the Act! Scheduler.  The backup will create a zip file that can then be copied by your offsite backup program.

Here is an article with detailed instructions for creating a backup of your database:

How to Backup your Act! Database

The 'messagestore.mdf' is a separate file used by the Act! Email program, if you have Act! integrated with Outlook you will not need to backup this MDF file because it is not storing any of the emails (they are stored within Outlook and the Act! database).  If you have set up Act! to use the Internet Email option (or Outlook Express) you will need to backup this file manually through the Act! Email program (File > Transfer Email).  The backup file created can then be copied by your offsite backup program.

Here is an article with detailed instructions for creating a backup of your email messagestore:

How to Back Up and Restore Your ACT! E-mail Database 

Greg Martin
Sage