Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

error message after install

error message after install

After installing ACT! 10, then when attempting to start the program, I get the following error message:  "The type initializer for 'Protexis. O' threw an exception."  The program won't open.  I've reinstalled the program three times.  I have Windows Vista, 64 bit on a new machine.  How can I solve this problem?
       Thanks
                      Gene
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: error message after install

ACT! does not support 64-bit Operating Systems at this time.

Microsoft require different editions of their software for 64bit including SQL Server that ACT! users.... and MS demands more $$$ for this to be used.

Sage might do this if enough users ask for this by posting a request at http://www.act.com/community/feature/index.cfm

What if your not running vista? I am getting the same error

What operating system are you running?
What version of ACT!?
When does this error occur?

xp
act 2008
It occurs when I try and open ACT

At a guess, it looks like the install had a problem.

Were you logged in as an administrator in Windows when you installed ACT! with any anti virus disabled?

yes

I blew out the old installation then I re-installed act 2008 again and it seemed to work

Mike,
     I spent some good time talking to tech support and customer service at ACT!  They don't know, didn't tell me anything about and SQL update, at any price.  They simply told me the program won't work with the 64 bit Vista (I was previously using it on 64 bit XP).  So I sent the program back to them and they will refund my purchase price.  However . . . now what?  I've been using ACT! for twelve years and all of my contacts are in that data, which I've saved.  I saved it in the ACT! 2008 format and I suspect I can't go back to the 2006 format, the disk for that program I still have.  What to do?  As a small business owner I've found that ACT! is just getting bigger and bigger, more bloated with stuff I don't need.  I'd like to find another program that simply kept track of my clients and helped me schedule appointments while keeping their good information at hand.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
                  Regards
                                   Gene

XP 64-bit could still run most 32-bit apps. Vista 64-bit does not do this so easilly.

There is no price of just a SQL update that will make this work... ACT! would need to be modified for the 64-bit SQL, which is a different product.

It seems you have upgraded to an operating system that is "just getting bigger and bigger, more bloated with stuff you don't need."