Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

e-mails not synching with Act

Astute Commentator

e-mails not synching with Act

I have had this working in the past, but I just noticed today when I went to attach an e-mail to a contact it would not attach to the history of the contact where I wanted it to. I am using Outlook 2007 and Act 2010 and have never had issues with this in the past. Anyone have any ideas how I would go about fixing it.

I have restarted both programs already and that has not fixed the problem.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: e-mails not synching with Act

Here is an article with steps to help resolve this issue: KB Article 19948

Most likely the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process has stopped, which is the first step listed in the article.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Looking at this article that you have referred me to. I suspect that this Act.Outlook.Service.exe has stopped like you are suggesting, but nothing is as it is in the article. I suspect this article is old and does not include anything about Windows 7. I am using ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1, Windows 7 & Outlook 2007.

Nothing like Act.Outlook.Service.exe is inside Program files. However within c:\program files (x86)\Act\Act For windows. I see 2 files 1 is called Act.Outlook.Service and the other is called Act.Outlook.Services.exe.config. I am unable to double click either one to start the service as the article suggests.If I try to double click on the one that is Act.Outlook.Services.exe.config then another window pops up and says "windows can't open this file. It needs to know what program to use to open the file. Use the web to browse to a program or select one from a list of installed programs. If I select the installed programs one it doesn't even give me the option of ACT. I have no idea of what to do or what is going on here.

In the next paragraph in the article where it says you can verify that Act.Outlook.Services.exe is set to automatically start when you start or re-boot your computer. None of what it says is right, again I think because I am using win 7. In any case if I search for "system confifuration utility" to check and see if the box for this item is checked I do get to this utility. In there I do find one with the box checked within the startup tab that says Act.Outlook.Service where the command line is c:\program files (x86)\Act\Act For windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe

Any help would be most appreciated.

Astute Commentator

A little more info on this one:

I have found that if I shut down and re-start ACT and Outlook nothing happens, but if I re-start the computer then magically the e-mails that should be in history are now there. Sometimes the little icon with the x in the lower corner of the attachment will show up in the icon tray in the lower right hand side of the computer. If I right click on it then it will show progress of Messages left to attach to Act  - Not processing any messages etc. I have also gotten messages tath say the program Act.Outlook.Service has stopped working and I should either check online for a solution or close the program.

It seems that somehow this program Act.Outlook.Service opens as it should when I restart the computer, but it stops working. Not sure why it stops, but it does and once it does then Act is no longer updating the e-mails to the histories. It would be helpful if someone could a) help me figure out the easiest/quickest way to restart this program (hopefully without re-starting the computer) and b) help me figure out why it stops so hopefully I can avoid what ever it is that is causing it to crash.

Platinum Super Contributor

You've actually found the correct file for restarting the service - 'c:\program files (x86)\act\act for windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe' (not the '.config' file).  To restart it, double click on the file.  You won't see anything happen, but you should be able to check the Task Manager > Processes tab and find the service running. 

If it won't start by double clicking on it, check your Event Viewer for error messages to help determine what is causing it to fail. 

You can also try:

- stop the act.outlook.service service 

- check the History Queue and remove any files that are in there - it could be an issue where 'problem' emails are causing a memory issue can causing the service to stop. 

Location of HistoryQueue: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\Act for Windows (version#)\History Queue

or for Act! 2011 -  C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\Act Data\History Queue

- restart act.outlook.service

Greg Martin
Sage

This is similar to the advice you gave me, but I'm still not able to have my emails attach to History as they did up until 10 days ago.  I'm using ACT! 2011 Pro, Outlook 2010, on Windows 7.  Can you give me a SIMPLE way to find the History Queue and get rid of any emails that may be hindering the attach function?