Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

duplicate checking doesn't work when space between characters - why?

duplicate checking doesn't work when space between characters - why?

Hello All,  I am importing .csv file and duplicate checking on First Name and Last Name.

I initially imported the file successfully - 268 records.

Then immediately imported it again and was surpized to see that there were 293 records.

An inspection of the records showed that this happened when there was a space between characters in the field.

eg- in First Name... "Charles B." or in Last Name... "Williams, PhD"

I have searched both the knowledgeBase and these forums and cannot find anything like this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Dean Atteberry.

Silver Contributor

Re: duplicate checking doesn't work when space between characters - why?

In Excel, prior to your import, there are a couple of commands that will help you. The trim and the clean command

Trim takes out extra spaces

Clean takes out non printing characters from your list.

Run both of these prior to your import and that will take care of the space problem.

A duplicate in ACT is an exact duplicate based upon hte criteria specified, including spaces.  it does not differentiate beteween different types of characters.  Exact match = duplicate. Duplicate matching criteria is found under Tools, preferences, Admin, Duplicate Checking

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you, Jon, for your reply.  I just got off the phone with Sage tech support, with the resolution that there should not be any blanks in a field on which Duplicate Checking is being performed.  If there are blanks, then the program will think it is a different field and add the record again.

I proved this by manually removing the blanks from the firstName and/or lastName fields on the 25 records that duplicate-entered.  Then created a new database, imported the file, enabled duplicate checking on firstName & lastName, and immediately imported the file again.  Result...  268 records the first time, 268 records the second time.  Note that with the blanks the result was 268 the first time, 293 the second time.

Since I am in control of the program that creates the .csv file, need to change things on that end to ensure no blanks in the fields on which Duplicate Checking is being done.

That's what I know...........

--dean

Silver Contributor

The trim and clean command in excel will preclude you from having to manually do the clean up!!

Glad you've got it.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

I suspect that this would be because ACT! has parsed them... eg:
Charles (first), B (middle)
Williams (last), PhD (last name suffix)
If you combined them into one field and imported to Contact (leave First and Last with nothing), ACT! will still parse them to First/Middle/Last, but Contact should still match