Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

duplicate Smart Task entries

RJS
Copper Contributor

Re: duplicate Smart Task entries

the checking and unchecking and the parenthesis are just 2 contributing errors I found.

Even after making sure those are correct before any smart tasks are run I am still having problems. It may help others though.

I just tried to run a smart task I had work fine yesterday and it won't even run. I tried all my just in case steps noted earlier as well.

A dead end still for me.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
RJS
Copper Contributor

for you, I would duplicate and rename the smart task to something different and keep it named different,, then delete the original. Make sure you use a different contact and or opportunity when doing the test. make sure there are no saved smart tasks in the status on top of smart task template. Make sure the contact and or opportunity you used before has all their histories deleted.

These are some of the ways I have gotten mine to work. This is impossible and not a working service at this point.

I am waiting for ONE person to tell me their Smart Tasks work even Most of the time?

Rob
RobJSinger.com
RJS
Copper Contributor

are you refreshing the screen or just waiting for whatever time for the task to show up....maybe refreshing the screen is causing an error in sending more than once..  I had some work correct even with multiple refreshes but just something you may want to try.

Notice, when you do mark some of the multiple task as complete, only 1 normally triggers it as being complete. If I click the wrong task it will not trigger the next.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
Copper Contributor

Thank for pointing out the parentheses change after checking and unchecking.

Like you, even after making sure the parenthesis are correct before the ST task is run it still duplicates steps.

The problem persists.

Copper Contributor

I have tried both refreshing and not refreshing, no difference, problem of multiple entries persists.

I have invested hours on this starting back 2 years ago after ST was first introduced. I gave up on fixing the problem then as I wasn't  getting anywhere and my posts didn't elicit much interest. 

Took up the challenge again about a week ago, hours later and still couldn't find a solution. Note that I have managed to get ST to work for a few hours at a time but never more.

There are other serious problems with ST but no use mentioning them when ST can't even work.

No wonder there aren't many more Act! users commenting on ST on this forum, do they know something we don't?

RJS
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am exhausted at this point.

Last attempt for night:

I disabled all Smart Tasks.

Renamed one that used to work and kept new name.

Made sure all items we spoke about were correct... single parentheses and run only once check box still checked.

Made sure my search criteria showed up in the Preview section so I know it will find what I am asking for.

Renamed any previously run smart tasks so the Status Tab was cleared showing Nothing from prior run or partial attempts.

Used a brand new opportunity and contact.and made sure all old test contacts or opportunities were deleted.

Deleted all old history, this is easy with V16.

Ran diagnostics and restarted the software.

With all this the Smart Task will not initiate at all.

My computer keeps turning the fan on and off and only does this when doing a lot of processing. New and very fast laptop so something has it running continuously trying to do something unknown.

The only thing I did not do was reboot the computer.

Summary: all my attempts somehow must still be stored in the processing of this application causing failure.

As noted last night I had a few successful attempts and no duplicates. This ended when I kept trying again this morning by testing more times then with dozens of test.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
Copper Contributor

I am also throwing in the towel. I have replicated all the steps you have tried and with the same unsuccessful results.

There doesn't seem to be a way to put lipstick on this pig.

Thanks, it was helpful to have another person to collaborate with on what so far appears to be a software problem.

David

RJS
Copper Contributor

Re: Duplicate Smart Task Entries

[ Edited ]

This is what I did to test the Duplicate and Not Activating problems with Conditional Smart Tasks.

This blog explains how to re-create a similar test easily: robjsinger.com/act-smart-task/

Please try this and leave your results here and there.

1) I Backed up my main DB and did a Restored As using a different name.
a- I ran DB maintenance.
b- I closed and restarted the DB.

2) I Activated Two CONDITIONAL Smart Tasks, (we will call one -Customer Verbal-, which has 10 steps that update fields automatically, and 4 steps that send tasks that need manual intervention.
The other (we will call -Customer Closed-, which has 4 steps that send tasks that need manual intervention.
a- I created a New Contact and New Opportunity that both meet the criteria of Just the -Customer Verbal- Smart Task.

The -Customer Verbal- Smart task completed perfect with no duplicates.
a- The Smart Task Status tab also shows this Smart Task as completed.
THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO HAPPEN, RHETORICALLY!

Using the same contact and opportunity I now changed their criteria to meet the -Customer Closed- Smart Task.
a- This Smart Task Did Not Launch. -  This was a mistake, see edits below:

EDITED 3:10 pm. last night I changed the contact who gets the task to see if it would fix the duplication and it did not. I forgot to change this back this morning. After realizing this and correcting with all the above steps I was able to get both these smart tasks to lauch perfectly with No Duplicates. It appears Restoring the Database may have fixed things. Let me try to see if this will work on a few more attempts and with my other smart tasks too. Stay tuned.

3:30 pm - I tested witn another smart task and the very first task that came over was a duplicate. I am going to restore the database again and then run the smart task that had duplicates first, to see if the error is only happening on 2nd attempt.

3:36 pm - I restored another DB with a new name and ran the smart task with duplicates 1st, and it came back with duplicates.

The below is no longer accurate but all else is:

b- It took 10 minutes to show on the Smart Task Status tab as In Progress.
c- There are NO Pending Smart Task steps on the Smart Task Pending list.
d- To be sure of no errors on my end, I checked to make sure the contact and opportunity were linked and that they meet the criteria of the -Customer Closed- Smart Task. They are and Do.

As you can see getting this fixed is important to me. Please test the same yourself and leave any finding to support the errors.

All this may be clearer to understand at the blog link I left at the top for those interested in helping. I also left more things I tried there.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
Copper Contributor

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your detailed examination and easy to follow accompanying documentation. The results of my 3 test as per your instructions were as follows:

Each test resulted in multiple (2 instances)  of the same step. Past testing oftentimes has also resulted in 3 or more multiples of the same step, this change (increase number or multiples may over time) may be related to the increasing number or parenthesis being populated.

In this test I was careful to check run only once and go back and remove the extra parenthesis each time.

Doesn't appear that we are further ahead?

David

RJS
Copper Contributor

David,

Thanks for taking the time to do further testing.

I updated the blog - robjsinger.com/act-smart-task even further, to make crystal clear to any conversations had with tech support and myself or others.

I plan to stay at this until a resolution is had!

Rob
RobJSinger.com