Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

duplicate Smart Task entries

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Duplicate Smart Task Entries

Rob,

I appreciate all the effort. I don't want to discourage you but I have been at this on and off for a couple of years. My experience is that most tech support people at Act! have but a limited understanding. Act's response has been that it must be database issue but I doubt it.

Let me know anytime I can help, am willing to invest yet more time on this. Would be great to resolve what I believe to the best feature Act! has introduced in a long time. If only they would spend a little time fixing and them improving it. Hopefully our attempts to fix this feature will at some point attract their attention.

David

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: duplicate Smart Task entries

Yep, same here.

I no longer have any of the default Act! ST to test if the problem is limited to the newly created ST.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I can tell you the removal of the checked box when leaving the task does Not get removed and that the parentheses are Not multiplied based on any enable or disable changes. I thought someone said the smart task that come with the software are hard coded unlike how we create new ones. This is probably the reason those do not have these 2 issues.

I have never tried the default templates to see if they create duplicates.. my guess is they will not. Maybe I will try later but even so making the Custom ones is what really drives the application and that is what should be rectified.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Managed to get ST to run without duplicates both run manually and when condition are met using a Smart Task I created in the demo database (my demo database does not include any Act! default ST that are set to run when conditions are met).

The results are perplexing. I am not surprised that it worked for a few trials as I have been able achieve these results in the past both in the demo and in my working database. I noticed that with each succeeding trial the Tasks took increasingly longer to populate, up to 45 minutes after the conditions were met after running the same ST with 2 new sets of new contacts (I am using a new and fast computer with and I5 processor). I will contine running ST with the demo database and report on my findings. 

Here are the steps if you wish to replicate my ST on the demo database:

• Open demo database

• Create simple Test Smart Task to run when conditions are met. I suggest the following.

• Type = Contacts, Field Name = ID/Status , Operator = Contains, Value = Wholesaler, And/Or = And

• Type = Contacts, Field Name = Referred By, Operator = Contains, Value = Other,  And/Or = End

• Make sure the run only once box is checked.

• Make sure to Enable Task and to click OK when exiting the Edit Smart Task window.

• Then add 3 call activities and name them call 1, call 2 and call 3. Make sure that Automatically schedule… and Timeless are checked and it is Scheduled With Contact.

• Pick any 5 contacts and create a lookup

• Change drop down menus ID Status to Wholesaler and the Referred by  to Other.

Side note: In the past I have uninstalled and re-installed Act! (Version 15.1), upgraded from 2011 to 2012 and then to 2013, mostly motivated by the hope that ST would solve this issue.

I sent my database to Database Services on the advice of senior level tech support while working on this a couple of years ago and they told me that the noticed the ST were still duplicating after they repaired the database. I gave up at that point and there was no follow-up from them afterwards.

I am not sure if this is in any way related to the issue of duplicating ST entries but I am using a couple of add-ons and have done extensive modifications to my layouts over the years.

If there is an issue with my database I have no way of telling, I have gone through all the repair and re-index options in Act Diag but after all this work the problem persists in one form or another.

David

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

David, did you try to run the SM automatically in the demo DB and it failed so decided to try it manually?

Tomorrow I will try to make the same conditional ST I have in my primary DB over there to see what happens since that seems to be the place to test.

Yesterday I got my 1 SM that seems to work without duplicates most of the time to send out the 6 tasks within 5 seconds from each other. I was amazed since this usually takes changing amounts of time from prior tests. Another in an old post said they are spaced out by 2 minutes but I think that may have been the way it was in 2012.

I too hae the new 5i processor and it has Act moving faster than any other computer I've used. My old laptop has a i5 but from a few years ago and the technology appears to have advanced tremendously.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Rob,

Not good news.

Tried an hour later in the demo database and still getting duplicates, running it both manually and when conditions are met.

It does not appear to be database related as the problem persists in the demo datase.

David

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just creacted a conditional in the demo DB and it will not initiate. It doesn't even show on the pending list but shows when I check the conditional preview so I know it should be found.

I went back to my main DB and tried my 1 ST that always works perfectly and it too would not initiate. I then ran it manually and it initiated a 6 step activity process with the 1st a duplicate, so much for always working perfect, but the rest of the steps came back in 3 seconds, really, and were not duplicates. This is on my slower computer too. Can you imagine 3 second responses and no duplicates.

Went back to demo DB and the ST ran manually without duplicates but still would not initiate automatically and each step was back in 1 and 2 seconds. I guess since that DB has a a fifth of the contacts I have it can move along much better.

I tried to run manually against the same contact and it would not due to having that run only once check box chosen. When I removed it, it did run so nice to know many things do work.

Rob
RobJSinger.com