Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

display my contacts, as a list not as a contact report, by building and room number

display my contacts, as a list not as a contact report, by building and room number

I would stil like to display my customer base as contact list,  not a report,  sorted by building and room number in ascending or descending order.  If this is not possible, act really doesnt help me at all.  Can someone show me how this is possible.

Thanks

Nickel Contributor

Re: display my contacts, as a list not as a contact report, by building and room number

That depends on how you have your contacts set up right now and how exactly youd like to display/work with them.  Assuming youve added "Room" and "Building" fields to your database for each contact, you can simply add those two fields to your contact list page and then you can sort by each column. Thats not going to get you buildings followed by rooms as ACT doesnt have advanced sorting capability yet.

Two other things come to mind. You can use Groups.  Set up groups by building so then at leas you can display a list of all contacts in one group(building) and sort those by room number.

The other option is to check out Contact List Plus from http://durkincomputing.com/ .  This is a very powerful plugin which will allow you to do exactly what your looking for. You can group the contact list up to 4 deep.  So you can easily group the list by building then room.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Re: display my contacts, as a list not as a contact report, by building and room number

ACT! does have the capatbilty to sort by multiple fields.  If you go to Edit > Sort, you can see that you can sort by 3 different fields.  Like Matt said, if you've created Room and Building fields, you can sort by that in the contact list.
Nickel Contributor

I overlooked  Edit|Sort.   Thanks for pointing that out. learned something new today Smiley Happy
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Another thing to keep in mind is how you enter the data. You may have to decide on something that is less intuitive at first but will pay off in sorting ability.

An example from my own experience is tracking expiration dates. I enter the date as 070108, someone else enters it as 7/1/08. Act will sort them differently. But if every date is entered like the first one, in the Contact List view you will get your list of expirations (or whatever) beautifully sorted in precise date order. A-a-ah!

So you may need to add leading zeroes to your room numbers for consistency.

And remember to also be consistent about spelling & punctuation when entering text.

Act!'s ability to sort on any field in its Contact List view, in my opinion, is a major feature, and a lot of fun.

Just a user...

SINCE 1995 (ACT! by Symantec)
CURRENT: ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2006 Version 8.0.2.82