Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

database on network drive

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

database on network drive

I initially tried to install the database on local pc because software would not let me select a remote drive for database location. Now when i just copy the database over to the network drive all 5 computers have access to it but if my computer is turned off they will get an error when they launch outlook since it is integrated with ACT! and i'm also seeing my hostname when trying to setup ACT! for outlook again.

Question is how I should set up this database to share with 4 other computers where i dont have to leave my computer on.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tommy96814
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: database on network drive

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tommy96814
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

This doesn't actually solve the problem.  How do you users access the Act! database when it is installed on a drive connected to a router, rather than to a computer?  For the money this program costs, it should be able to do this.

Administrator

Hi Runescope,

Unfortunately this is not possible. Due to the way that Microsoft SQL Server is designed, the database must be physically located on a PC where SQL (and therefore Act!) is installed. Network drives are not supported. The best solution is to have one PC act as a server and share the database, then configure other PCs to connect to it.
See the following Knowledgebase article for more info: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878