Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

database location in ACT 2009

database location in ACT 2009

I have an external drive back up (my book essentials by Western Digital). I upgraded my Vista to Windows 7, which wiped out my programs and data. I installed ACT 2009 again, but cannot find the database file on my backed up computer files. Any idea where I can look for it? I have looked in ACT\databases\  but cannot find a .PAD file. Also searched for all the .PAD, .ADF and .ALF and there is nothing saved on my backed up files from the external drive.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: database location in ACT 2009

The bad news is they were likely never backed up. The ADF and ALF files are attached to the SQL server and they are open any time the server is running which is typically any time the computer is powered. Many backup program won;t backup open files so unless you made a backup from within the ACT! program or you stopped the SQL server before doing the backup, the database likely wasn't backed up.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for the quick response. I now know to not rely on these machines and back up manually on a disk.

Platinum Super Contributor

As a double check, you may want to do a search on 'database files'.  Along with the ADF, ALF, and PAD is a folder named '*databasename*-database files'.  If you can locate that folder you will know that you are looking at the location in which the database would have resided.  This folder is not locked by SQL and could have been copied.

Greg Martin
Sage