Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

database exportation

database exportation

I'm a new rep who has just registered ACT 2010 for my laptop.  I'm trying to copy the exisiting customer database from the owners desktop to my ACT 2010 on my laptop.  I understand that is not an option for my spftware version... so what is the solution?

Please advise? 

Kelly Knigge

214/542-2284

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: database exportation

Silver Contributor

If you are wanting a copy of your bosses database, exporting and importing are the absolute last way i'd do it.  first choice would be to set up synchronization so your database and your bosses are always up to date.  If you goss is no longer going to use ACT or doesn't care to see what you are doing in his database, you could just move the database after backing it up.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Astute Commentator

"exporting and importing are the absolute last way i'd do it."

Clearly setting up parallel databases enhanced by live video links and dynamic sql restructuring is the way to go.  However for those few of us ACT users who are not Lexus dealerships, we don't have access to $10,000 live link software and just need to transfer the database. 

Given ACT's reputation in this field, it's really not surprising that noone can answer the question: "how to copy an ACT database".  Of course the program's built-in "export/import" capability is similarly obtuse.

Copying the database is easy ... but the original question (about putting it on a laptop) implies that they want to be update both and have the changes cross over. That means setting up sync - which doesn't need additional software unless you want to sync without the server logged in (that needs Premium) or while remote (which might need some firewall/router changes and/or a vpn)
Astute Commentator

Hi Mike,

Sorry about the tone of my previous post: sometimes I get quite upset with ACT.   I've decided that a sycned DB is the best way to go.  I've now fixed my laptop ACT so that both are running ACT2012.  Unfortunately I just flew to Panama yesterday and no longer have access to the main ACT computer.

I may have access to a December, 2012 ACT database file but if loading that would screw up synch, then I can wait until I get back into the office in early April.

I do a special type of computer simulation and often complain that ACT is absolutely not amenable to my workflow.

yours,

John K.

Does someone else have access to the main ACT! computer?
Or can you get remote access?

How is it not amenable?
Astute Commentator

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately there isn't a remote user back at the main computer.  If I can get it to synch with the laptop when I get back in a week that will be more than adequate.  

My problem with ACT is that their primary market seems to be "car dealership" type businesses.  You have a large # of people or contacts in various stages of buying Lexuses (plural = Lexi?).  There is little info needed for each and the only project activity seems to be % of sales cycle.

My particular needs are:

1)  long term archiving & retrieval, if needed, of databases.  I moved from another dbase prgm which went out of business ca 1995 but I could always archive & retrieve databases.  Only with Windows-7 did their prgm become unreliable in running. I store (archive) my data on DVD-roms.

2)  I work on complex long-term projects: sometimes taking a year or more.  I can't seem to fit the ACT sales cycle to these. ACT targets "opportunities" where a project may have a lot of complexity.  Also when I click on an item in my calendar view I'd like to be able to go to projects, contacts, or companies associated with that project.

3)  I went to an ACT meeting in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA, held by an independent ACT consultant but she wouldn't even talk to me.  She only talked with these fat guys, who as you can assume, ran a car dealership. Of course this is not a problem but I'm having difficulty in getting ACT methods that I can use: despite buying the ACT book.

4)  Dislike only being able to have one ACT window open at a time.  I really need to have many people, & events open at once and copy & paste from one to another.  At least 12 windows: how hard can that be to program?

I'm sure there are more issues but that should suffice for now.  If we could fix even a few of these items, I'll revise my review on Amazon.com & make it much more positive.

Yours,

John Krawczyk