Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

customize menu & toolbar error

customize menu & toolbar error

I have tried to use the tools menu to customize my menu, to add certain reports, commands, etc. and I get the error message of "object reference not set to an instance of an object".  I have not had any fortune in locating what is causing this.  If anyone has had this occur, please let me know how to fix it.

Thanks. 

Nickel Contributor

Re: customize menu & toolbar error

That is a common and IMHO ambigious error message. The best fix for that particular error is a fix that will potentially cause you to lose your menu customizations. Renaming the folder Prefrences @ location C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows XX will get the message to go away more than likely, but if you want to attempt to save the customization then copy a file from that preferences folder called ConnectedBars258 and overwrite the one that will be created in the new preferences folder (deleting and renaming that folder will cause it to rebuild the next time Act is open)

There are several KB's that outline the process in more detail, just type in the error message in the search bar.