Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

copy db from desktop to laptop

copy db from desktop to laptop

Tried to copy db from desktop to laptop, and my laptop says that it could not be accessed, check network connection, check that database server is available. I don't want to use it on a network. I simply want to copy this so I can use it at home or on the road. I used a  flash drive. I'm only using one computer at a time. I've always been able to use this in version 6 and in the beginning with version 10.  What gives? I'm using the latest upgrades. I'm a simple user that only wants to print contact lists and not have 5 computers. schedule appointments and phone calls. I've been using Act since the beginning. I suspect that I need to switch or go back to version 6, but even that seems complicated.

Reading the message boards it seems to have something to do with Sql server.

Thanks

Dave

Copper Contributor

Re: copy db from desktop to laptop

Do a backup of the database on the desktop (File|Backup|Database), then do a "Restore As" (File|Restore|Database|Restore As) on the laptop.  That will add the new database to SQL on your laptop and copy all the files.  I do it all the time and it works perfectly.
Best Regards,

Chuck

That is exactly what I do, please  reread my email for the error messages. I 've been doing that way for a long time and all of a sudden I get these error messages.

lasertag,

Are you able to open other databases?

Check out the following knowledgebase article:

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check ...

Focus on these sections:

• The SQL Server Browser and/or SQL Server (ACT7) services are not started or is disabled
  • Protocols for ACT7; TCP/IP is Disabled
  • Firewall or Anti-Virus software is blocking access to the database

Chuck,

I took a look and I was trying to do a straight "Restore."  I got it to work using the "Restore as..." option as you had suggested, but after I do that it forces me to create an entirely new database, which I don't want to do every time.  Is there an easier way to copy the database to my notebook when I need to?  It worked fine in the earlier version of ACT!, and I remember it working until just recently in the version 2008, but not any more.  I can't run it off of a networked database like some people, and transfering like this is my only real option.  Thanks for your time!

Copper Contributor

Yes, it won't allow you to re-use the same database name since that one already exists on your laptop.  You can either delete the old database prior to putting the new version back in with the same name (Tools|Database Maintenance|Delete Database) so you don't start building up copies with different names, ( see ACT! Knowledge Base article at http://tinyurl.com/57pemh ) or consider setting up synchronization (see ACT! Knowledge Base article at http://tinyurl.com/yuurda

If you only do this once in a while and don't need to make changes to the database on your laptop, it would be a lot easier to use the first option.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Why would this work originally, even in version 10 and then all fo sudden stop working.  (backup and restore)  If I do synchro do I have to have two copies, keep in mind I only use 1 computer at a tim e.

Thanks

Dave

I should have mentioned that I can't open other databases either, same message.  Seem like this happened after I updated.

Thanks

Dave

Nickel Super Contributor

If you cannot open any other databases, you need to make sure that the SQL instance is installed and running.

To do this, go to Start -> Run and type in Services.msc

Once in the Services window, scroll down and see if you have an entry listed as SQL Server(ACT7)

If you have this service, make sure it is set to Automatic and Started

If you do not have this service, that is the issue.

You'll need to reinstall SQL using the following kb article. It's for a different error, but same procedure to reinstall SQL with ACT installed

Error: "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance" or "Failed to open a connection to the databas...