Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

converting from Act 6.0

converting from Act 6.0

[ Edited ]

I have custom fields in my 2006 Act Database.  (I would think when converting it would just convert over with what ever old field equating to the same nameed NEW field.   Freeken Done.  But no.   It's not wanting to recognise my custom fields.  

Okay.... So I have to use custom conversion. 

When I use custom conversion Im not getting the ability to map the old field to the new field. (it shoudl be automatic but for argument sake the conversion tool should let me have a pull down on both sides.

So upon Database Conversion page 4 or 7  Click next to accept te default settings.... Address 1 > Address 1 etc.

I notice the "I have more Contacts to convert option at the bottom" which will let me create fields on the fly....  I assume.

Then the 'next' options take me to 2nd contact thru to 3rd contacts

finally i get to ID/Status  < point of contention  This field exists in both Act 6.0 data and new data however the conversion tool will mot let me map this (3rd contact) field and <do not map> exists.  When I pull down the pull down no whare in the options does it allow me to map this 'ID/Status' field.  Weired.  I'ts there and I even went back to the original database to double check.  It is lost somehow?   Why is there an 'ID/Status' for Assistant,  for 2nd Contacts and 3rd Contacts?

Also Why is it that the left side of the convert page is green will let me grab a pull down for maping and the right side not let me have access to a pull down for maping?   Its only a one way conversion.... which confuses me.  Why would I not be able to create a new field in the new database and map from old databae to new filed in new database.  I thought that was the point.  Maybe Im missing something simple.

One example of a new field I have added to my old database is a 'LinkedIN' field.  I need to create a new spot for that somehow and my custom converstion is not recognising that new field.   I can see it in my pull down however there is not a way to add that to the right side....   Im doing something simple wrong here.

Maybe Im getting ahead of myself but I know this tool should just work....  If I export my entire database to a comma deliminated file where are the notes stored?  I can simply map A to A and B to B and be done with this.  I don't see the notes upon export and whats the trick for dumping out completely?

Bart Brejcha
design and engineering instructor
http://www.designengine.com
bart@designengine.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: converting from Act 6.0

when you did the default conversion did you then convert your old layout? The fields will convert but won't modify the default layout. You need to either do that and add your custom fields to the layout or convert your old layout.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

are you telling me if i do that basic conversion and skip the last part with the CLY that final step determins if all the extra fields get converted?  I find that hard to belive but ill try it.

I suppose there are a lot of real Sales persons on this fourm.  I have questions about setting up sales coommisions and want to post those questions on a Sales orteinted forum someplace.  suggestions?

Bart Brejcha
design and engineering instructor
http://www.designengine.com
bart@designengine.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

The fields convert separate from the layout and the CLY is the layout. You can create a new layout to include the custom fields or convert the ACT! 6 layout. However you would need to make sure you converted the correct ACT! 6 layout.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129