Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

computer crash

computer crash

I was out of town for two weeks and my main computer completely crashed Smiley Sad

How do I change the remote database on my laptop to become my main database. It says it will expire so  I need to do this soon!

Bronze Contributor

Re: computer crash

Hello Cre8pix --

This should be pretty simple.  Without knowing more, I am going to assume that your remote db has all the attachments too.

Create a backup of the remote db using Act's backup program.

When your main computer is restored, use the backup created from the remote db and "restore as" on the main.  Once restored, you will then have to start the process over and create a new remote db.

If I skipped anything, I'm sure one of the more learned gurus on this board will add anything I missed.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Super Contributor

FYI - The 'expire' notification is only a warning, it will not affect the database if past the expiration date.
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks, John. I don't know if my main computer will be restored. I only get a black screen with one small white line. It won't go to windows or even to dos.

If I make a backup of my remote database can I restore it as a main database?

Cj

Silver Contributor

It is possible to create a new master database from a remote.  However, you would then need to recreate remote databases for all users. Any outstanding remote database will become orphaned.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider