Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

changing the chronological order of info in contact detail report

Tuned Listener

changing the chronological order of info in contact detail report

When I print my contact detail report, the History, Activities, etc. are all printed from oldest date to newest date....and while not a big deal, it would be nice if I could have this information printed with the most recent details first.  Any suggestions on how to modify this??

Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: changing the chronological order of info in contact detail report

If you edit the report template, you can open the sub-reports for each table (notes, history, activities) and change the sort order
Loyal Listener

I've got ACT! 2009 11.0.  I'm editing the Contact Notes subreport of a report that started out as a Contact Report.  I'd like to get the notes in descending date-time order, latest first

Clicking on the various fields of the subreport, I'm not finding anything in the Properties Window that looks as if it would allow me to change this order.  I can hide the field, move it, shrink it, put different data in it, but I don't see anything for sorting.  I've also tried selecting the entire subreport from within the report as a whole.  I don't see anything

A possible further complication: assuming I were able to find someplace to set the sort order, I'd still have the problem of sorting on two columns, primary sort being the date and secondary sort being the time.

The sorting is controlled by the subsections of the report and multilevel sorting can be done.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: changing the chronological order of info in contact report

When I print my contact detail report, the History, Activities, etc. are all printed from oldest date to newest date....and while not a big deal, it would be nice if I could have this information printed with the most recent dates first.  Any suggestions on how to modify this??  I know that it must be in the sub-reports - but i can't find where I can change the sort order .  HELP!

Edit | Sections

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

call me stupid. i've been looking at this foreever!  If i go to edit, define sections, there is NOTHING there that talks about ascending/descending oder for dates.  can u be  more specific?

Astute Commentator

In the define sections window, in the outline list on the left, only "Section #"s can be sorted by a field, ascending or descending.  If you want to sort by a primary, then secondary field, make Section 1 sort by the primary field, then make Section 2 (you might have to create a new section) sort by the secondary field. Then put all of your field boxes within Section 2 or in the Detail section and both sorts will apply.

....however, you might get the undesired effect (with dates especially) that if you have 3 different contacts all with the same date in a certain date field, if you sort by that date, the "repeats" will not show on the report, because it's trying to group matching entries together. [Like if you had 7 customers all with one of two sales reps, you can format the report to group the customers beneath their respective sales rep.  So it looks like a "header" of the sales rep name with only their customers listed beneath it.]

^The eliminating repeat dates is the problem I'm currently trying to solve.

Astute Commentator

Aha! If you put the field boxes in a Section 1,2,3,etc header they will group and not print repeats. You have to put the field boxes in the Detail section of the report so it will sort AND print the "repeats".

Hope this helps!

FINALLY! i get it - thank you SO much.  i wasn't clicking on the right section - now I gget what i was doing wrong and it works!  THANK YOU!!!!