Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

change drive letter of HD

Accepted Solution Solved
TOW
Accepted Solution

change drive letter of HD

I’m running ACT 2007 (v9) my database in on an external HD (drive E). I just add a second internal HD to my computer so I can image my first HD. My problem is the computer wants to assign a new drive letter to the external HD (drive F). When it does that ACT doesn’t run it tells I have a firewall problem or that something is blocking it. If I change the external HD back to drive E it works fine. When ever I run the image software the changes the external HD back to F. I want to leave it F but also want ACT to run.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author TOW
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: change drive letter of HD

[ Edited ]

Hello TOW,
The .PAD file you use to open your database and the database's connection to SQL contain a specific filepath. If the database is not located at that path, you will get the error that the database cannot be accessed. If you need to change the location of the database:
- Close ACT!
- Delete the current .PAD file for your database
- Open ACT! Diagnostics (Start, Run, type "actdiag")
- Go to Databases, then Database List
- Highlight, then right-click on your database and select Detach
- Open ACT! then open your database from its current location using the .ADF file (change the File Type to .ADF on the Open screen to view the .ADF file).
This will create a new SQL connection and new .PAD file containing the actual filepath to your database. You must repeat this process anytime to filepath to database changes.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

You can control what letter is assigned to which drive by right clicking on your my computer button and choosing Manage. Then go the the section on drives.  Here you can change the drive letter assigned to a physical drive  Right click on the drive and choose change drive letter.   Be careful here as some other programs may want a specific drive too. Call your computer guy if you're aren't sure.

Here is a knowledge article from Microsoft on the subject.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

TOW

I understand on how to change the drive letter. my problem is when I change the drive letter ACT data base will not open I get an error about it being blocked by a firewall (not true). If I try to open it using the ADF file and let it rebuild, it tells me that it's already there

Solution
Accepted by topic author TOW
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello TOW,
The .PAD file you use to open your database and the database's connection to SQL contain a specific filepath. If the database is not located at that path, you will get the error that the database cannot be accessed. If you need to change the location of the database:
- Close ACT!
- Delete the current .PAD file for your database
- Open ACT! Diagnostics (Start, Run, type "actdiag")
- Go to Databases, then Database List
- Highlight, then right-click on your database and select Detach
- Open ACT! then open your database from its current location using the .ADF file (change the File Type to .ADF on the Open screen to view the .ADF file).
This will create a new SQL connection and new .PAD file containing the actual filepath to your database. You must repeat this process anytime to filepath to database changes.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.