Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cant open ACT without running diagnostic check

cant open ACT without running diagnostic check

I changed the location of my ACT ADF, ALF and PAD files recently and everytime I go to open up my ACT it gives me an error.  But when I run the diagnostic and check the database it fixes the problem and allows me to open act.  When I run the check database, it says not able to access files.  It just annoys me that I have to run the diagnostic every time to open ACT.  What can I do to fix this?  Do I have other files that I need to move to same location?

thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: cant open ACT without running diagnostic check

Hello stodoroki23,
It sounds like the database may have been improperly moved, causing an issue with the database's connection to SQL Server.

What was the method you used to move the database?
What is the error you are receiving when you open the database?
What version of ACT! are you using?

You may be able to resolve this issue by detaching and reattaching the database to SQL. This option is available from the Actions menu fro the database in ACT! Diagnostics.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have act 10. I moved my database by uninstalling act and reinstalling it back.

OK, What is the error you are receiving when you open the database?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

It says database could not be accessed. Check your network connection and verify that the database server is available.

The most common cause for this error is that the SQL Server service is not running. If you cannot open another database, like the demo (ACT2010 Demo) or create a new database, this may be the cause. See the Knowledgebase article for a solution:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

If this does not resolve, then additional solutions are in this KB article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...
*Look at the solution for the damaged .PAD file first

Greig Hollister