Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cannot open the db zip file

cannot open the db zip file

I recently bought a new computer with Vista and installed my Act2008. I saved my old database on a CD as a zip file and copied it to the desktop of my new computer. When I open the zip file I keep getting a new blank database. How can I get the zip db to open or imported into the db I newly installed? I cannot find a way to extract the zip file and not sure if I have to buy WinZip to extract the files. 

Second, in my older computer I cannot open the original db and I am directed to Admin tools, 'services, right click Protexis Licensing V2, click start but start is not highlighted so that is not an option; and it is listed as 'disabled'.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: cannot open the db zip file

with the Protexis issue, my older computer can send and receive email but will not connect to the internet. HP said i had a virus and that's why everything shut down before. How can i get the exe file on the older computer? save the exe file on a disc and then install from the disc?

Regarding the zip file, i am a little confused. I saved the zip db on the old computer on the desktop of the old computer. I had to burn the zip db on to a disc using sonic record now, and i dragged the zip file to my desktop of the new computer. I followed the instructions on the link you sent: open ACT, restore, database, restore database as, i select the zip file on my desktop, give it a name, save it to C:/prince/desktop, enter my user name for the zip file and password from the older database...and i get a message '"the file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT backup." I am confused. Am i supposed to create a back up of the zip file? how? am i supposed to restore the db directly from the cd drive using Windows explorer or My computer? does that mean i need to send the zip db to either of those locations directly from the CD? Thanks for your help

Re Protexis - yes copy the file to the system should work. But without internet access, if it needs to check the registration you may need to call sage.

Re the Zip file - how was the ZIP file created?

zip file was created simply by using the ACT backup link: file, backup, and saved to my desktop. so it is the zip file that is created by ACT

every time i open the zip file (that i made on the old computer with all my data) on the new computer it opens up the blank database that was created when i installed ACT on the new computer. It won't open up with the data. I tried uninstalling ACT and deleting all the files and starting fresh and it still would not open the old database. 

When you say "open the zip file" do you mean using ACT! File | Restore | restore_As amnd using a different name - then opening the file it restores?

Does it show as the new file name?

Act, file, restore , database, and using a new name for the zip. I get 'backup of this database can only be restored on the machine where it was created. Use the restore as option to restore on this machine.....which is what i have done. It finally appeared as if it was restored on my desktop with a new name but when i opened it up it was empty. upon trying again i received a pop up that said "this database has been updated to work with a more current version of ACt. you must update your copy  to log-in to this database. check for updates" then i get a pop that says i do not have permission to download the updates. you must be a windows administrator" i am the only one who uses the computer and the only person using the database. now what?

did all the steps and ACT update and unpacking, then the window Act installation requires additional Microsoft components, etc I go through all the steps and downloading, etc and after all the downloading it asks do i want to open the database and i say yes, and it brings me right back to the beginning that I have an earlier version do i want to update it.  I have done this 3 times and the same thing happens over and over. Now i cannot open even the blank database created when i installed ACT on this new computer.