Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cannot install Act v16

Copper Contributor

cannot install Act v16

trying to install fresh from a download on a fresh PC.

Steps:

ran setup.exe

selected install act!pro

get a screen saying "pending Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)"

select install

received error 1628 after just a few seconds

I downloaded and used the uninstall.exe for 64bit windows7

I completed a fully manual install

I verified that Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) is already installed (looking at control panel's "programs and features".

I uninstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and attempted the act v16 installation

I reinstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)  and attempted the act v16 installation

same results in every case.

I found a technote about installing v16 that referred to Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) SP1.

I installed that.  Same result.

Perhaps v16 just isn't ready for prime-time.  Or at least the installer isn't.

Nickel Contributor

Re: cannot install Act v16

Hi

In some cases this error may be caused by the installation files from the install download being damaged. This can if you are installing from a download, not a CD. To attempt to resolve, you can delete the extracted install directory and original download then download it again. Re-boot your machine  and delete any temp files by typing %temp% in "search programs and files" or in the Run area (Windows key + R)

I have seen other articles as well if you ggoogle the error and one states installing the x64 bit version as well from

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5638

But I would try downloading again first.

Copper Contributor

before your rep;ly, I had run ccleaner to clean up all temp files as well as the registry.  I failed to mention that as one of my steps.

I followed the steps you recommended this morning, and hte problem is the same as before.

Nickel Contributor

Can you tried installing on another PC to test that the installer is working OK?

Copper Contributor

I suppose, but I would think there would be more complaints than just mine if that were the case.  I keep forgetting every year when I try the new version of act why I have such disdain for the company (regardless of who owns it.)

Nickel Contributor

maybe I've been lucky as I have had no problems installing it so far, but I've probably given myself the kiss of death now by saying that!!

Silver Super Contributor

Try right-clicking on the setup.exe file and run it as an administrator if you haven't tried that already.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!