sql7 is running

cannot connect to sql instance

act diag comes up with the error : login failed for act user access

log file says

the user is not associated with trusted server connection

many thanks

help needed asap

Re: cannot connect the sql instance

To configure the ACT7 Instance by creating a new SQL password, please use the following steps:
Click the Windows Start button and select Run. The Run dialog box appears.
Type cmd in the Open field, and then click OK. The Command Prompt appears.
If you are not at C:\ then type cd c:\ and press Enter.
Type sqlcmd -S(local)\ACT7 -E and press Enter.
Type sp_password NULL, bluesky,'sa'
Type go and press Enter
Type Exit and press Enter
Type cd C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows and press Enter
Type SecurityCmdLnApp.exe bluesky and press Enter
Type exit and close the window
Have a Nice Day!
zeezar

I am running into a similar problem.  When I try to restore a remote database on my local client, I get an error, "Failed to restore remote database.  Failed to open a connection to remote database."  I then went through the Knowledge base and found what I should be checking, they suggested checking out "actdiag" through the run option.  When I run "actdiag", I get another error reading "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance."  What do I need to do to get this running.  I need to have the remote database for my guys on the road, but how can I get it working.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks a Mill,

cp

Did you ever find out how to solve the "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance. Click Yes to continue anyway, No to restart Actdiag, Cancel to close. "  Our SA password is locked out and we were told to run the actdiag but I get this error when I try to run it. 

BTW - We just installed ACT, and I'm regretting we ever looked at this "application."  We don't even have a database yet.  We've been trying to install for a month. 

am having the same issue! Successful install on my Vista laptop, failed with this problem on the XP desktop. 2009 version of Act!
Copper Contributor

Should these same steps apply to ACT Premium 2009/11.0?

I'm having this problem as well, but I have a fully functional shared database. I'm just needing to run some maintenance from the ACTdiag but can't get it to run properly

Thanks!

Same steps apply.

You can only run database maintenance from the server.

We are having an issue with one of our desktops....when you try to open ACT it will not open.   If we go to run, type in services.msc, then select SQLAct7 and right click, then start, then the program will open and sync.  However, this does not always fix the problem!

In trying to fix this problem I read to enter Actdiag at run to determine the version of SQL servier that I have.  When I do this I get an error that reads "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance."

If I try the steps you outlined in your post:  c:\>sqlcmd -S(local)\ACT7 -Ed , I get the following error message.

Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server ComputerName\ACT7, Line 1  Login failed for user (user name)

So I don't know the version of SQL server that I am using and I don't know how to find out or to fix my problem.  Can you help?